Question about factory sub.. Can someone please help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
hello :)

Just recently purchased MY02 GMC Yukon, and love it :)

I see that their is a factory sub located in the back. Has anyone successfully connected it to an aftermarket sub box?

I know that there is probably no power what so ever to power an aftermarket sub. But, I think that my stock one could be blown. So, for the mean time I wanted to disconnect it, and put my aftermarket one on to avoid the broken coil / farting sound that mine is doing currently.

Anyone have tips on how I can access the wiring to it?

Thank you, :yar:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the plastic trim panel and you'll have access to the housing itself. I tapped into the wire going directly into the enclosure from the amplifier that is mounted on top of the plastic sub enclosure and wired up a simple line output converter (LOC). You can leave the factory sub wire connected but I just cut it and there seems to be much less current draw on the amplifier thus improving clarity of the other speakers. I'd also recommend using some inifinity reference 6.5" coaxs up front since they're 2.65ohm impedance (closer to the factory speakers then most aftermarket 4ohm speakers) and sound 100x better than the stock crap. I'm fairly impressed with mine and it has done a good job while I wait to install an aftermarket head unit alongside components and independent amplifiers. I'd say it's a cheap alternative that sounds pretty good for someone that doesn't want a ridiculous stereo and likes the use of the stock head unit.

Jevicky

Reaction score
Factory sub

What size is the factory sub? I was thinking of removing it and replacing it with a better aftermarket sub to wire to my kenwood navi system. I know I would also need to purchase an amp, but would it be possible to mount a better quality speaker in the stock location?

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
Thanks BOOST :) :) :)
So, what I gather from you is, that I must remove all of the plastic from the passenger (left) side door, back to the trunk? Basically all of the plastic? or can I get away with just removing the plastic grill thingy to gain access?

Looks like it would be a PITA to remove all of it, from door to door :(

Thanks again buddy~!! :)

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll want to pull the d-pillar plastic all the way off, it disassembles pretty easily but it's a bitch keeping the trim from scratching the glass so I took it all the way off. Once you unscrew the little black knob next to the driver's tail assembly it all comes apart pretty smooth. Let me know if you have any more q's but it's rather self-explanatory once you start taking stuff apart.

iamsmithers

Reaction score
Eryoz...if you need some pics/instructions how to get to the back sub just PM me. If youve got access to a fax I can send them to you. Its real easy, take about 10 minutes tops.

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
Eryoz...if you need some pics/instructions how to get to the back sub just PM me. If youve got access to a fax I can send them to you. Its real easy, take about 10 minutes tops.

Thanks man!! For sure! Could you email them to me or PM me?

[email protected]

Thanks a million to you, and boost :)

PS: Is what I am doing going to sound like total ****, or what? :D

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without an aftermarket amp it will sound pretty terrible, I'm not very impressed with my setup but I'm a bit excessive with stereos. 1000w on a sealed 12" L7 isn't really loud enough for me.

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
LOL!
Not good enough? :)

I mean, dont you think that it would at least sound a little bit better than whats in there right now? Its making a farting noise when I turn it up too loud.
Thanks !

iamsmithers

Reaction score
No problem man I'll scan them up this weekend and get them over to you. Anyone else that needs them, just let me know!

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size is the factory sub? I was thinking of removing it and replacing it with a better aftermarket sub to wire to my kenwood navi system. I know I would also need to purchase an amp, but would it be possible to mount a better quality speaker in the stock location?

Comes with a factory 8"sub, or at least mine did. It's been a while, but I think I put a JL 8W6 in mine. The box is probably a little small for it, but it sounds ok.

iamsmithers

Reaction score
Scan is done, if anyone else needs the instructions for getting to the sub just let me know and I'll email it over to ya!

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
Thanks smithers! =]

Thanks to smithers, I hookes up my extra sub this weekend inm about 10 min

Although ot doesn't get as loud as I wish it would. It does have a deeper, more meaningful sound to it :)

Thanks again for your help brotha!