Quick tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got black 22'" rims on my truck and some sunny low profile tires to go with them. I went with sunny because the place had them in at the time and they were gonna give me a good deal on them. They told me they ordered them for another guy and he never picked them up so they had them in stock but would normally have to order tires to fit my tahoe. So anyways I have to go back in and get them re-balanced because when I'm driving at 70 the car starts vibrating (not good). Also, when I crank the wheel all the way to the right or left to pull into a parking spot or whatever the tire rubs against the inside of the wheel well. I've heard of this happening with 24" rims and tires but not 22"'s? Did they give me the wrong size tire or what? And if so, would it be out of question for me to request they put the size on there that won't rub since I told them I wasn't sure what tire size I need and they told me these would fit?

THanks guys

orionkhan

Reaction score
What are the offsets of the wheels? I've got 305/45/22 tires and there is no vibration. There is very slight rub when the wheel is turned to full lock and when the shock is compressing at the same time. Otherwise, no rub at all. Normal parking and such does not cause any rubbing. Your issue is probably due to the wrong offets of the wheels.

As for vibration, check the tire pressure. When I had mine put on, they had them pumped up so high that they were rock hard. Once I lowered the pressure to stock specs, they tire felt almost as smooth as the stock ride.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure they just took my stock tires and rims off and threw on 22's and Im not sure what size tires? They didn't do anything with the offset. My tire pressure was at 40 PSI i found out so I had them take some pressure out down to about 37 PSI. They told me the vibration might be because the wheels are aftermarket and don't fit perfectly so they ordered me these plastic rings that go inside my rim to make it fit on the axel better or something like that? Is he right, will this fix my problem? he said this is a common problem with aftermarket rims and that the little ring he is ordering me will fix it.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to find out:

What size tire they have on there...
What are the "OFFSET" of the rims...
What is the width of the rims... (probably 9.5")

Here's my guess to all these questions
Tire size is 305/45/22
Offset is +25 or +30

Also those Sunny tires they put on are one of the biggest piece of crap tires out there. People think they are going to be a good tire because the tread pattern looks identical to the Toyo Proxes. I had those Sunny tires for about 6K miles and I had the same issue you had.....tons of vibration at higher speeds. I must have brought it in 10 times to try every kind of balance imaginable.

So basically...get rid of the Sunny's....have them put 305/40/22 tires on if the offset is between +25 to +35. If the offset is different...then have them get it right.

They are going to put in those hub-centric rings but I am telling you your still going to get vibration from those tires. Good luck...keep us posted

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now I'm kinda pissed that they gave me ****ty tires. Ive only driven maybe 300 miles on them, is it out of the question for me to demand them to take these pieces of crap back and put some good ones on there?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now I'm kinda pissed that they gave me ****ty tires. Ive only driven maybe 300 miles on them, is it out of the question for me to demand them to take these pieces of crap back and put some good ones on there?

I guess it all depends on where/who you bought them from. Is it a reputable shop??

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea its not a big franchise place but the guys seem to be decent guys. Although I don't appreciate them not giving me the heads up on the tires. I meann is it unreasonable for me to expect them to put some good tires on there if i pay the difference in prices

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea its not a big franchise place but the guys seem to be decent guys. Although I don't appreciate them not giving me the heads up on the tires. I meann is it unreasonable for me to expect them to put some good tires on there if i pay the difference in prices

No...it's not unreasonable. Your the customer and your not happy. Just go about it nicely until they don't want to do what you want. Get all those questions answered and get back to us. Getter Done!!!! :)

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I called them and told them screw the Hub Cap rings I just want to give them the Sunnys and upgrade to some better tires. He said they would most likely just give me what I paid for them in the wheel and tire package. I was thinking thats hard to determine what I paid since I just paid for both together and they gave me a deal. I told them I expect full refund but that I would pay the difference to upgrade the tires and he said he would get me pricing for Toyos and Nittos. How much more should I expect to pay to upgrade my tires to a brand such as Toyo or Nitto, is there that much of a price difference? I dont wanan get screweed

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I called them and told them screw the Hub Cap rings I just want to give them the Sunnys and upgrade to some better tires. He said they would most likely just give me what I paid for them in the wheel and tire package. I was thinking thats hard to determine what I paid since I just paid for both together and they gave me a deal. I told them I expect full refund but that I would pay the difference to upgrade the tires and he said he would get me pricing for Toyos and Nittos. How much more should I expect to pay to upgrade my tires to a brand such as Toyo or Nitto, is there that much of a price difference? I dont wanan get screweed

It depends on the size tire they put on there. The Sunny Tire is about $122-$130 a tire in either a 305/40 or a 305/45/22. Toyo Proxes and Nitto 420S's are about $30-$50 more per tire. Hope that gives you a starting point.

Do you have any idea of what kind of wheels they are putting on your truck???

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also...they can still put the hugcentric rings on.....won't hurt anything....they can only help the situation.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I already have black American Racing Burn series 22" rims on there. I appreciate all the tire information, that definitely gives me a starting point thanks. So if I understand right I should be asking for 305/45/22 tires with a +25 or +30 offset.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Offset is for the wheels, not the tires--just so you don't go in guns blazing demanding an offset on the tires ;)

Also, according to post #3 that size DOES rub, so maybe you want to go with something smaller. TireRack recommends 285/45R22.

Also, when I crank the wheel all the way to the right or left to pull into a parking spot or whatever the tire rubs against the inside of the wheel well.

I've got 305/45/22 tires and there is no vibration. There is very slight rub when the wheel is turned to full lock and when the shock is compressing at the same time.

orionkhan

Reaction score
My wheels are a +30 offset. My vehicle is an '07 Yukon XL. If you have 305s with +35 offset wheels, I can see why you might be rubbing more. Like I said. Mine barely rub. More like a scuff and only in certain situations. I can barely hear it. Not enough for me to change. So if your wheel offset are to much, you could be rubbing alot more. A difference of +5mm might not seem like much unless you're already at the limit.

Note that the wheel size and offset should be stamped on the inside of the wheel. It might say something like 22x9.5 +30.

You should be able to read the tire size on the outside of the tire. It might read something like 305/45R22.

Telling us the wheel size/offset and tire size would help a lot at figuring out the problem. Also, noting what year and model you vehicle is.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I talked to the tire dealer who supplied my tires and rims today. If you guys remember right, I got 22"rims with sunny tires to match cause thats what they said they had the best deal on and recommended them saying they were the same as toyos and the high performance tires. Anyway, when I get up to 65+mph my car starts vibrating and the ride gets real rough. So obviously I take it in for them to look at it and they tell me they are gonna put some hub cap rings on there to make the rims fit better and that shuould help. Then someone on here told me that they had the same problem with their sunnys and sunnys are just crappy tires. So I called up there and told them I want to switch the tires off (less than 300 miles on them) and just pay the extra money for new tires. They tried to tell me I would have to pay a 25% restocking fee and I said no thats ridiculous and that they didn't inform me that the tires ran rough and they told me they were the same as high performance tires (obviously not). So after a lot of arguing and the guy telling me they have never had a problem with Sunny's and that my ride is rough because I have 22"s, I finally just told him I'm not paying a restocking fee and he said he runs a business and that I have to if i want new tires. I told him I want to be happy and I am the customer. Finally we agreed that I would come in and check the tires at the place and put them on a balancer and see if they are defective. What do you guys think? AM I out of line for expecting them to take these tires back? Thanks

orionkhan

Reaction score

Are you out of line? Well, yes and no. First off, you should have informed yourself more about tire and rims sizes before purchasing. Especially since you went with larger aftermarket wheels. Heck, some of the posters here asked you a couple of times for the specs of the wheels and tires in order to answer your questions. But you never provided them. So shame on you for being ill informed and them making an poor decision based upon that.

Now, no, you are not out of line for getting on the shop. They should be the experts and should explain the pros and cons about going up in wheel size. The possibility of the tires rubbing, the possible rough ride, etc. Just because someone rolls in wanting some bling factor, they should explain everthing to them to avoid just a situation like this. As opposed to trying to get you a low price on something that looks good, but rides like crap. Now the customer is pissed. Even if they got over on you, you will go all out of your way to bad mouth that shop. Eventually costing the shop lost sales. So they should work it out with you.

I think you should work out a compromise. Perhaps pay a lower restocking fee. After all, its not the shops fault that you were a dumbass just trying to roll 22s.:lol: But they shouldn't take advantage of your ignorance. They should try to make good with you. And keep in mind that you are riding around on the tires. So they're not "new" any more. And most places don't like returns on wheels that have had tires mounted on them already.

Try to work it out. 25% is high for a restocking fee. Tell him 5-10% max, plus you're going to buy more expensive tires anyways.

That's my 2 cents.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they tell me they are gonna put some hub cap rings on there to make the rims fit better and that shuould help.
Hub rings (not hub cap rings) are no big deal (cheap $), but they can make a wheel fit better on your vehicle. If an aftermarket wheel doesn't fit on the hub just right, you can have vibration at higher speeds. If hub rings are required, I say put them on. When I bought aftermarket wheels for my STI I had to put hub rings on, where my stock ones didn't need them at all.

I've never heard of Sunny tires before and just the name doesn't give me confidence like Pirelli or Michelin or Bridgestone does. But it doesn't mean that every single tire they make is defective. You must have got them first because you liked the price. I say let them check it out the tires and see how it feels with the hub rings in place. You'll probably notice an improvement with the hub rings anyway.

If you don't feel safe driving around on Sunny tires, then by all means get something else instead even if they aren't defective. But are you planning on giving them your return business? Sometimes I find that developing a good relationship with a shop can go a long way in the future. Arguing over a restocking fee for non-defective tires, doesn't seem to me to be a step in the right direction.

If you don't ever plan on going back, fight for all your cash back :p.