Quick tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you out of line? Well, yes and no. First off, you should have informed yourself more about tire and rims sizes before purchasing. Especially since you went with larger aftermarket wheels. Heck, some of the posters here asked you a couple of times for the specs of the wheels and tires in order to answer your questions. But you never provided them. So shame on you for being ill informed and them making an poor decision based upon that.

Now, no, you are not out of line for getting on the shop. They should be the experts and should explain the pros and cons about going up in wheel size. The possibility of the tires rubbing, the possible rough ride, etc. Just because someone rolls in wanting some bling factor, they should explain everthing to them to avoid just a situation like this. As opposed to trying to get you a low price on something that looks good, but rides like crap. Now the customer is pissed. Even if they got over on you, you will go all out of your way to bad mouth that shop. Eventually costing the shop lost sales. So they should work it out with you.

I think you should work out a compromise. Perhaps pay a lower restocking fee. After all, its not the shops fault that you were a dumbass just trying to roll 22s.:lol: But they shouldn't take advantage of your ignorance. They should try to make good with you. And keep in mind that you are riding around on the tires. So they're not "new" any more. And most places don't like returns on wheels that have had tires mounted on them already.

Try to work it out. 25% is high for a restocking fee. Tell him 5-10% max, plus you're going to buy more expensive tires anyways.

That's my 2 cents.

I appreciate the brutally honest opinion but I think you have the wrong idea of what happened. I bought a tire and rim package from them and told them I wasn't sure what size tire I needed, they are the tire shop so they knew and recommended Sunny tires because they said that would get me the best price and that they were great tires as good as any high performance tire, just at a lower price. They didn't inform that the damn things vibrate like your wheels are going to fall off when at high speeds. I expected a decreased quality in the ride of my tahoe, however I didn't expect a lot of vibration at high speeds. I've ridden on 22"s before and none of them felt like this. The shop had already recommended tires and tire size to me so the tire spec's didn't matter, they are a tire shop, they should know what to put on my Tahoe, even if I'm not informed about tire sizes. I'm not some dumbass trying to roll 22"s just because I wasn't completely sure what size tire I needed and went to a tire shop and expected them to know. If anything I should have done research on Sunny tires and I did and all I found was their website (which of course will tell me nothing bad about the tire). I told the tire shop I feel that I should have been informed that the tire was going to greatly decrease my ride quality and he says hes never had complaints about them before. Honestly, no I probably won't go back to this shop. Will I bad mouth the place? No because I'm not a dumbass and understand that he's just trying to run a business. However I feel like he should have not told me these tires were as high quality as Toyo, pirelli, etc. Because let me assure you they aren't. He wants me to come over there today and put them on the balancer to try to prove to me they aren't defective (Will this actually prove anything?) however, I don't know if I want to waste my gas because last time I went he tried to just order these hub rings and wouldn't even check the balancing of the tires, I guess he was being lazy. Damn I'm frustrated.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hub rings (not hub cap rings) are no big deal (cheap $), but they can make a wheel fit better on your vehicle. If an aftermarket wheel doesn't fit on the hub just right, you can have vibration at higher speeds. If hub rings are required, I say put them on. When I bought aftermarket wheels for my STI I had to put hub rings on, where my stock ones didn't need them at all.

I've never heard of Sunny tires before and just the name doesn't give me confidence like Pirelli or Michelin or Bridgestone does. But it doesn't mean that every single tire they make is defective. You must have got them first because you liked the price. I say let them check it out the tires and see how it feels with the hub rings in place. You'll probably notice an improvement with the hub rings anyway.

If you don't feel safe driving around on Sunny tires, then by all means get something else instead even if they aren't defective. But are you planning on giving them your return business? Sometimes I find that developing a good relationship with a shop can go a long way in the future. Arguing over a restocking fee for non-defective tires, doesn't seem to me to be a step in the right direction.

If you don't ever plan on going back, fight for all your cash back :p.

I actually got Sunny only because they told me they were just as good and high quality as Toyo and Pirelli. I honestly have always had Pirellis, Nitto, or Toyos on my cars and went into the shop wanting one of those three brands. The ONLY reason I got Sunny is because they said they were a great tire. You're right about the hub rings, I might as well just try them. But another poster earlier in this thread said he used to have Sunny's and had the same problems and that hub rings didn't work. So I have kinda lost my confidence in Sunny knowing that I'm not the only who's had this exact same problem. Thanks for the input guys!

orionkhan

Reaction score
I appreciate the brutally honest opinion but I think you have the wrong idea of what happened. I bought a tire and rim package from them and told them I wasn't sure what size tire I needed, they are the tire shop so they knew and recommended Sunny tires because they said that would get me the best price and that they were great tires as good as any high performance tire, just at a lower price. They didn't inform that the damn things vibrate like your wheels are going to fall off when at high speeds. I expected a decreased quality in the ride of my tahoe, however I didn't expect a lot of vibration at high speeds. I've ridden on 22"s before and none of them felt like this. The shop had already recommended tires and tire size to me so the tire spec's didn't matter, they are a tire shop, they should know what to put on my Tahoe, even if I'm not informed about tire sizes. I'm not some dumbass trying to roll 22"s just because I wasn't completely sure what size tire I needed and went to a tire shop and expected them to know. If anything I should have done research on Sunny tires and I did and all I found was their website (which of course will tell me nothing bad about the tire). I told the tire shop I feel that I should have been informed that the tire was going to greatly decrease my ride quality and he says hes never had complaints about them before. Honestly, no I probably won't go back to this shop. Will I bad mouth the place? No because I'm not a dumbass and understand that he's just trying to run a business. However I feel like he should have not told me these tires were as high quality as Toyo, pirelli, etc. Because let me assure you they aren't. He wants me to come over there today and put them on the balancer to try to prove to me they aren't defective (Will this actually prove anything?) however, I don't know if I want to waste my gas because last time I went he tried to just order these hub rings and wouldn't even check the balancing of the tires, I guess he was being lazy. Damn I'm frustrated.

I hear ya. My comments about the tire/wheel sizing were mainly directly at your early comments about the tires rubbing the fender wheel.

The problem about the ride quality issue is that it very subjective. Check your tire pressure cold. Mine are at 30psi cold. My ride quality is close to stock. If its not the tire pressure then it the tires themselves or the rings. You'll get it worked out.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. My comments about the tire/wheel sizing were mainly directly at your early comments about the tires rubbing the fender wheel.

The problem about the ride quality issue is that it very subjective. Check your tire pressure cold. Mine are at 30psi cold. My ride quality is close to stock. If its not the tire pressure then it the tires themselves or the rings. You'll get it worked out.

Hmmm interesting. When my tires were vibrating real bad they were filled to 40 PSI according to my tire pressure sensors. I have since had them adjusted to about 37 PSI and the problem did get better... I might put them a little lower, what do you guys think? What I might just do is try these stupid hub rings and see if that makes it any better. I'm just frustrated with the tire shop for trying to sell me on these tires when they truly aren't as high performance and high quality as Toyo or Pirelli.

orionkhan

Reaction score
Try lowering your tire pressure down to 30-31, cold. Remember that the tire pressure increases as you drive and the tire temperature rises. It doesn't cost anything to lower the tire pressure.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update you guys. I took the tahoe back to this tire shop to get the tires rebalanced and see if they could get rid of the vibration. So he put the tires on the balancer and was seeing a lot of movement in the tire especially where the rim lip seals with the tire lip. SO they determined that there is a problem with the tires and i am getting new ones. I am supposed to call them tomorrow and tell them what I want so they can order them. What would you guys recommend? I want a high quality tire and am thinking about going with Nitto, Pirelli, or Toyo. I want a real good looking rim and tire combo and already have American racing burn series 22" rims. Here is a pic of the rims: http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/wheels_brand/wheel_detail.php?id=58070
I have to order tomorrow, so give me some suggestions, Thanks guys :thumbsup:

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with: Toyo Proxes, Nitto NT 420 or Continental Cross Contact....they are all about the same $$$.