Radiator Replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sejo

Reaction score
'99 Tahoe - 4WD

For those of you who have replaced a radiator before; Do I need to do anything special with the oil (oil) cooler, transmission (fluid) cooler pipe lines?

Does engine oil and transmission fluid actually pass thru these lines that hook up to the radiator?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. When you're pulling out the old radiator, make sure you plug those lines so the fluid doesn't leak out everywhere. And yes, oil and transmission fluid do run through them.

Sejo

Reaction score
Yes. When you're pulling out the old radiator, make sure you plug those lines so the fluid doesn't leak out everywhere. And yes, oil and transmission fluid do run through them.

What's a good method for plugging up the lines while inwork?

Last edited:

Sejo

Reaction score
What's a good method to plugging?

'99 Tahoe - 4WD

Also, does anyone know if there are benefits to installing a "Heavy Duty" radiator, AND whether or not it would fit comfortably in the stock location? I'm grabbing one from Autozone with Lifetime Warranty. Here are their dimensions:

Heavy Duty:
2 row, 34" X 17 1/4" X 2 1/4"

Regular:
1 row, 34" X 17 1/4" X 1 1/4"

Last edited:

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put small rubber plugs in there and then tied sandwich bags around them. I got my radiator from radiatorbarn.com for $150 and it came with a lifetime warranty.

Sejo

Reaction score
I installed the H/D radiator a while back. It fit right into the stock location with no problems whatsoever. During my first test run it ran HOT; I had just installed a Autozone thermostat so I figured it was that....went to the dealer and bought an OEM thermostat, installed it, and things have been fine since.

Top picture is OEM regular duty radiator.
Bottom picture is H/D radiator from Autozone.

Attachments

• IMG_3412 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3412 (Medium).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3410 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3410 (Medium).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 8

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my radiator too with the HD one. I got mine from NAPA and it is made by Proliance/Modine and has been flawless ever since.

I installed the H/D radiator a while back. It fit right into the stock location with no problems whatsoever. During my first test run it ran HOT; I had just installed a Autozone thermostat so I figured it was that....went to the dealer and bought an OEM thermostat, installed it, and things have been fine since.

You probably didn't get all of the air bled out and that's why it was getting hot. Getting the air out of the coolant system sucks sometimes.