ram air intake...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A true ram air either takes air from a hood scoop, cowl, or under the front bumper. The shaker hoods were ram air as was the GTOs w/ the ram air option. The Olds Cutlass w/ the 442 and W31 had scoops under the bumper.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A true ram air either takes air from a hood scoop, cowl, or under the front bumper. The shaker hoods were ram air as was the GTOs w/ the ram air option. The Olds Cutlass w/ the 442 and W31 had scoops under the bumper.

A hood scoop would be so freaking cool IMO. LOL, but is this anybetter than a KN cold air intake??? or is KN better?

Armycop

Reaction score
ram air vs. CAI

Yes, there is a difference. a true "ram air" system does exactly that; takes air from outside the engine bay and, due to forward motion of the vehicle, forces air into the intake. Nothing like a supercharger though. The faster you go, the higher the pressure inside the ram scoop, and more O2 into the intake. You have to be moving to see any appreciable gains.
a Cold Air Intake, like the K&N 64 I have on mine, isn't a true CAI either; none of them really are unless the intake is outside the engine bay. What you do get is a better breathing intake system that removes the inherant restriction of homolgated production vehicles (all for one, one for all concept in build design). With a CAI system, your engine can take in a larger volume of air, but it comes from within the engine bay, so the air is somewhat heated by the warm engine. However, the volume of air is much greater than that of a stock system, which when combined with more fuel, offers more combustion mix, and a stronger combustion pulse.
I'm very pleased with my CAI, the SOTP acceleration is noticable right out of the box. Stronger pull throughout the rev range too. I've haven't noticed any MPG gains yet; can't seem to stop burying the loud pedal!

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a difference. a true "ram air" system does exactly that; takes air from outside the engine bay and, due to forward motion of the vehicle, forces air into the intake. Nothing like a supercharger though. The faster you go, the higher the pressure inside the ram scoop, and more O2 into the intake. You have to be moving to see any appreciable gains.
a Cold Air Intake, like the K&N 77 I have on mine, isn't a true CAI either; none of them really are unless the intake is outside the engine bay. What you do get is a better breathing intake system that removes the inherant restriction of homolgated production vehicles (all for one, one for all concept in build design). With a CAI system, your engine can take in a larger volume of air, but it comes from within the engine bay, so the air is somewhat heated by the warm engine. However, the volume of air is much greater than that of a stock system, which when combined with more fuel, offers more combustion mix, and a stronger combustion pulse.
I'm very pleased with my CAI, the SOTP acceleration is noticable right out of the box. Stronger pull throughout the rev range too. I've haven't noticed any MPG gains yet; can't seem to stop burying the loud pedal!

IM not looking for MPH. Im looking for RAW FREAKIN POWER!!!:yesnod:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the K&N system will give you that!

IS it better than this one though. AS we have learned the ram air is just a name, not really a true ram air. SO K&N would be just as good your saying. I have a local banks preformance guy I could get these parts from at a shop, only reason im looking at them.

Armycop

Reaction score
If it removes the stock intake, with it's littany of baffles and such, and offers an aftermarket filter (cone flows best), then yea, go for it. HP gains are relative; how big/long/short is the intake tube, what's the flow volume of the filter, etc.; I'm not recommending one over the other, just saying get rid of the stock filter and intake tube and your already ahead of the game.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM intake is pretty non-restrictive other than the resonant chamber it has on it. It also does get its air from outside the engine compartment as does the GM CAI setup. Some of the aftermarket CAI setups I've seen have a half-a55ed seal to the bottom of the hood and still get engine compartment air.

Check out the Truflow website. It's the mythbuster for CAIs.