Rattling/Thumping noise from the headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone experience a rattling or thumping noise from above the headliner when going over potholes, railroad tracks or bumps in the road? Its as if something between the roof and the inside of the headliner came loose. Any ideas before I take it to the crappy dealer?

thanks,

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think the onstar module might be up there. That could be what it is.

turboedmsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it above the thir row in the back? if so pop out the interior dome light and spray wd40 over the foam that touches the roof supports.

good luck

preston

Reaction score
I got a rattling right of above the front passenger seat. Haven't had the time to check it out yet. If I put my hand against it I can stop the noise.

Anyone have directions on removing the headliner????

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the 3rd time I took the truck in to have it looked at and the idiot dealer tells me that cant reproduce. I was emailed a survey a week ago from GM and I slammed this dealers service dept. when I filled it out. This morning I get a call from Chevrolet customer service and they assigned a regional engineer to my case. They said he should be calling me in 24 hours. Lets see if GM can redeem themselves.

Gatorbait

Reaction score
I got a rattling right of above the front passenger seat. Haven't had the time to check it out yet. If I put my hand against it I can stop the noise.

Anyone have directions on removing the headliner????

Had the same problem. There are vertical pieces of plastic on the headliner that hit the roof. In most spots there is some foam stuck to the roof or something to pad them. In that area on mine there was nothing. Can't remember everything that I took apart but it wasn't that difficult to get to. I know I removed more than needed. To fix it I just cut a piece of foam I had and put it between the roof and headliner. Hasn't rattled since. Sorry I can't help with directions.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem. There are vertical pieces of plastic on the headliner that hit the roof. In most spots there is some foam stuck to the roof or something to pad them. In that area on mine there was nothing. Can't remember everything that I took apart but it wasn't that difficult to get to. I know I removed more than needed. To fix it I just cut a piece of foam I had and put it between the roof and headliner. Hasn't rattled since. Sorry I can't help with directions.

+1

Mine was over the third row. Since it was under warranty, took it to the dealer. They said they removed one of those pieces. Haven't heard a sound since.

dave/angie

Reaction score
We had a rattle in our 04, but it seems to due to the fact that we have a sunroof. The panel that slides across rattles from time to time .......

preston

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses. As soon as I get some time I'll go pull down the headliner. I think I got some foam padding laying around, so I'll put that between the headliner and roof in the spot that maiking the noise. Hopefully it takes care of the problem.

CD4537

Reaction score
if its above the front drivers seat, there is an "acordian like" plastic strip on the left hand side of the sunroof. that sometimes falls onto it's side instead of staying upright. This will cause a rattle. Just pull the shade back, stand the strip upright (like it is on the passenger side of the sunroof) and the rattle will go away.