Rear Liftgate Leaks on a '97 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wi1dyownag3

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a '97 Tahoe and after a year away at college I came home to find that sometime during my misadventures in another state something had happened to the rear of my hoe to make the rear lift gate come un flush. Basically the Passenger side of the lift gate aligns perfectly, no problems, nothing, however the Drivers side sits about 3/8" out of flush at the bottom corner, with it diminishing as it moves towards the top, and at the top it's flush with the frame..
So what should I do? How do I fix this? I'm really tired of the leak in the rear that accompanies this issue

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a bump stop to adjust? I never had a lift gate, I had barn doors (their own set of issues...).....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
round rubber headed bolt or something....

Wi1dyownag3

Reaction score
Yes, and i'll try that tomorrow when( if) it stops raining for long enough. I THINK I remember that I was able to push the door flush and it would spring back out as if it was bent, in which case I guess the only option is to buy a replacement rear liftgate off a wrecked tahoe..

Wi1dyownag3

Reaction score
Bad news: it doesnt have a bumpstop. On further inspection, the top left is farther seperated from the frame than the top right, as in on top where the hatch is near the third brake

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer, sounds like the gate may be twisted? Shure the shocks are equally strong?

dbirdez

Reaction score
There are only two pins that the gate pivots on , check them for straightness, something might have got wedged while closing and tweaked the pins or the hinge mount. Also check the mount to see if a weld broke loose.