Rebuild engine or trade Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scdcdoc

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe with 130,000 miles in pristine shape. I was told at the dealer that I have a bad ring in cylinder #1 causing oil to foul the spark plug. The service manager told me that it will eventually need a new engine down the road. I am looking forward to the future and debating whether to spring for the purchase of a different vehicle before the problem gets worse or wait till the problem gets worse and I need to replace the motor and if so, what would be the cost of a rebuilt engine plus installation. The body is perfect and the transmission was replaced 2 years ago.

jjohnsonlta

Reaction score
So what did you decide to do? I too have a 07 with 101,000 mi. Cyl 4 lifter went bad. I decided to go with new engine with the understanding we would be keeping the car to make it pay off. The quotes I got on repair was only 500.00 difference between new and replace lifters/cam. I will be running Range device even with updated valve cover & updated solenoid plate. Contacted Chev customer service to voice my disappointment on my engine lifter going bad but yet to hear a reply.

scdcdoc

Reaction score
I have decided to get a rebuilt engine and have it installed. The Tahoe has been paid off for a while. The transmission was replaced 2 years ago with a factory rebuilt one. Interior and exterior are like new. Just can't see getting back into a car payment after not having one for several years. Plus car payments for a new or recently used car are much more than replacing the engine which then will have a warranty.