Remote Start and defrost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Lightning

Reaction score
Started the Denali up this morning with the remote start (about 30 deg out) and I got in and the defrost wasn’t on? I thought I read that the defrost and heated seats kick on depending on the outside temp?
Does the vehicle have to be warm before all that stuff kicks on?

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front or rear defrost?

Mine heats the seats, blows the front defrost and lower vents. When you turn the key on, everything turns off (returns to settings when you last turned the vehicle off).

02Lightning

Reaction score
I was talking about front defrost. The times that I’ve played with it the seats came on and the front defrost came on, not sure about the rear, I didn’t pay attention to it. But the car was already warm at the time.
This morning I started it and I noticed that the front defrost wasn’t on and I didn’t look at the other stuff before I pulled out. I was just thinking that maybe the front defrost doesn’t come on until the coolant in the motor is warm enough to do anything? I only had it running I’d say a couple minutes before I got in.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well nothing lights up to "indicate" its "on" but the seats should be warm and you should hear the blowers going for the front defrost and lower vents.

Was anything blowing when you entered the vehicle prior to turning the key?

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think it waits.

I'm pretty sure I've remote started mine and then opened the door and it was blowing immediately after starting (in single digit weather). What was the temp? Perhaps it was not cold enough to merit blowing the defroster?

Try it again when its cold and see what happens... take note of the temp displayed as well.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine blows at full smoke regardless of coolant temperature until I turn the key. It has what I think is referred to as the "climate control" option.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to be temperature related cuz the defrost doesn't come on in the summer w/ a remote start.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur. It's operation is definitely controlled by the outside temperature. But unlike normal operation, in cold weather, upon remote strart, the heated seats come on, and it will blow (cold) air like crazy regardless of the coolant temperature as it begins to warm up, until you hit the key. Then it reverts back to whatever the temperature setting was on the contol panel.