Remote Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little help here...I have done a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Basically I am looking to have a remote starter installed (right now do not see a need for a huge security system), but am concerned about having to carry multiple remotes (as right now I have the Tahoe and my wife Odyssey, which we are looking to have a remote starter put into as well). Does anyone know of a remote starter system that won't break the bank that will allow for the control of the vehicle's remote lock and unlock features.

Thanks

Paul

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You can always install an add-on remote start system that will work with your existing factory remotes. DEI has a few different remote start only models in their line-up (Viper, Avital, Clifford, Python, Automate, Hornet, etc). With these, you'll be able to lock/unlock your vehicle like normal, AND start/stop the engine with your original remote, thus eliminating the need for extra remotes. Most of these will also come with their own remote that will feature lock/unlock also as well.

VaTahoeLt

Reaction score
You can always install an add-on remote start system that will work with your existing factory remotes. DEI has a few different remote start only models in their line-up (Viper, Avital, Clifford, Python, Automate, Hornet, etc). With these, you'll be able to lock/unlock your vehicle like normal, AND start/stop the engine with your original remote, thus eliminating the need for extra remotes. Most of these will also come with their own remote that will feature lock/unlock also as well.

do you have a link to any of these systems? I'm actually looking right now to add a remote starter to my 04 tahoe LT. Looking into installing it myself as well, depending on how hard it is.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have done this before or if you have some idea of what you are looking for I would check eBay. Last year I bought a lot of remote starters, 12 – 1 dozen that came out to be less than 20.00 bucks each.

2 remotes, 1.5 mile range, locks and trunk pop, light flash, bla, bla, bla.

Not sure how much you know about these things so I will go into a little detail and if you want more information just ask.

The remote starters themselves are quite affordable. When you start getting fancy with 2 way communication and the like, things obviously start getting a little pricier.

Some of the things that most people don’t consider are the bypass kits that are associated with these installs; these can be as much as $70.00 on top of the price of the remote starter module. This is a great site to find what you need. This is another great site (then click on Vehicle Wiring Diagrams) to get the wire colors you are going to need to tap into.

Depending on the brand you end up with you may also need things like additional relays, in some cases 4 or more of them, I used the trunk pop button on mine to turn on the heated seat. Also depending on what type of connections you are going to be making, you may be looking at another $20.00 to $30.00 bucks in hardware. If you hook everything up, you will be making 30 or more connections. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that hard ‘BUT’ if you are not well versed in 12 volt electrical systems you might want to think twice about doing this. If you jam your test light into the wrong wire you may be purchasing a new computer, or worse…. After you wake up to find that you just deployed an airbag. :ack:

Some people will try and tell you to solder everything and that may be great for them, it’s not for me. I have installed over 200 of these things and only had 2 come back and it was not because of a loose wire.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Also, on the 03+ gm trucks, you'll need a module to interface with the door lock system. You can go to the DDM (driver door module) and solder directly to the pcb, but unless you have experience soldering on small pcb terminals, I wouldn't recommend it. Use the available modules instead. Look for the XK01 or 1700G GM interface module. Both of those will allow you to interface with the locks and the Passkey/Passlock systems.
If you do this yourself, DON'T use a test light to test your circuits. Almost everything is controlled by low current modules that will be destroyed by excessive current draw from a test light bulb. Use a decent DMM (digital multi-meter) instead.