Replace Transfer Case/Rear/Front Diff. Fluids?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duketter

Reaction score
2001 Tahoe 71000 miles - 5.3L

Debating on if it is worth it to change the transfer case and front/rear differential fluids? I would have the dealership do this and they qouted me $255. This has never been done before on my Tahoe so curious as to if this is really worth it? I have changed oil regularly, fuel filter about 5K ago, tires are good to go and balanced/rotated. I am debating on if I should change these fluids or just leave it be? I wouldn't change it to put synthetic in, I would just change it to regular fluid. Not saying synthetic isn't worth it, but I just don't want to spend the extra money on synthetic fluids for this.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are only buying five Qts of fluid to do both diffs. Buying synthetic is only going to cost you a little bit more. And worth it in my opinion. DONT get the dealer to do it. I did mine without really knowing what I was doing and it was nothing. I made a good write up on transfer case and diff lube changes when I did them both. Ill look them up and post them for you. Its a simple drain and fill job. You can do the diffs and trans case in 30-40 min.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Differential lube change.
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=1943&highlight=differential+fluid+change

Transfer case lube change.
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=1970&highlight=differential+fluid+change

Your diff fluid should be changed every 60,000 miles, and your transfer case fluid every 30,000. So yes, you should change them. The rear diff should come with synthetic in it stock and the owners manual says to use synthetic when you replace it, but the front is not synthetic. I used Moble 1 synthetic in both.