ride quality: 20" vs 22" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heftylefty58

Reaction score
Hi again.

To date, I've been researching 20" wheels for my 2003 Yukon Denali. I had not been considering 22" wheels because I heard the ride is too harsh with 305/40R22 tires.

However, I just came across an offer that seems just too good to ignore: A new set of 22" U2-55s for $880 + tax. (I'd prefer the 20" version of these wheels, but there is currently a ~2 month wait b/c they're currently back-ordered.)

In another thread, someone mentioned that his ride quality substantially improved after he changed to 285/45R22 Toyo Proxes.

The reason I'm writing is because I'd greatly appreciate any feedback from those of you who have 22" wheels. Specifically, what are the drawbacks/cons of going with 22" wheels instead of 20" wheels?

Thanks for your patience with me and my numerous wheel postings.

1CLNTHO

Reaction score
My two cents since i've owned rims in that size:

20's are a good middle of the road large diameter rim- go good with most vehicles, not too extreme
Con- for a tahoe/yukon/nali, depending on what look your going for and what tire your using, they can sometimes leave a lot of fenderwell exposed

22's are good for the tahoe because they fill up more wheel well in the 40-45 series tires.
Con- tires are more expensive, while 20in tires seem to be so readily available and cheaper due to the amount of manufactures using 20inch diameters stock

I personally havent noticed much of a difference between 20 and 22 inch rims cause i've always put decent tires on them and the ride has been fine and looked good (Nitto's toyos and goodyears). Of course the ride quality will differ should you lift or lower it. However, either rim should still ride ok i'd say

Best of luck in your rim choice

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both 20s and 22s for my Tahoe. Up until July of this year, I was running 22s as my summer wheels. The 22s were always a rougher ride than my stock 17s but I figured that was the price to pay for running big wheels. I had lowered my Tahoe this year and immediately noticed it was really rough w/ the 22s almost too rough.

I ended up deciding to go with a set of 20s and the ride changed considerably. The ride is very manageable now, not harsh in the least.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 305/40/22's and really like them. I have a stock suspension right now, but it still rides great to me with this wheel set-up. I only had my stock rims on for about a week, so I don't really have a good point of reference either. I'm installing my 2/3 kit next month, so I might have a different perspective after that as well. I always say go bigger if you can afford it.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant really help with this. I had my 22's on after my 3/5 drop, but after the 22's were on, the ride actually got better than with the stock 16's. This made no sense at all, but my friend and my wife both noticed it.