Rolled '01 Yukon- starting problem/question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhskier2

Reaction score
Ok- new here, so hi to everyone and thank you for the insight. Bought an '01 Yukon on 3/18 and then black ice = rollover on 3/22.

It was a slow rollover- thought it was stopping on passenger side, and then over it went onto the top. It ran less than 5 min (I know, that's a long time) upside down- probably more like 2-3 min. before I shut it off. Put it into park and took the keys out. It was upside down for about 45min. before the wrecker got there and pulled it back over. It's sat for a week, and here's where I'm at with it:

It's the 5.3 motor. Air box has oil in it, MAF sensor obviously needs cleaning (I will use proper cleaner). Today I pulled all the plugs and turned the engine over manually- I got some oil out of cylinder 1- nothing out of the rest of them. Left the plugs out (still connected to the coils so they don't overload w/o a ground). MAF and tubes are disconnected from box and intake. I hopped in to give it a few clicks to turn over...I've got nothing... not even the clicking of the starter. What am I missing? I'm betting its something easy, but whatever it is, it's stumping me. Any advice?

Thanks!

MODS- I put this in the wrong forum. Should be in the 2000-2006... Please move it- sorry!

Last edited:

dhskier2

Reaction score
A Mystery

For some completely unknown reason... I walked out this morning to do the passkey reset cycle and the engine turned over immediately.
There was absolutely no change since last night... and then it worked!
As my wife said- its Easter Sunday, a day of resurrection. I am completely at odds as to what might have been the difference from everything yesterday.

So, I bumped the starter a few times and then cycled it for several seconds each time. There was some oil that spit/sprayed out, but nothing major after having turned it over by hand first.
Put the plugs in, and it fired right up. Currently running w/o issue. There was nothing noticeable as far as funny sounds, so I let it idle for about 15 minutes until there wasn't anymore white smoke. Then I changed the oil.... Purrs like a kitten right now! I've got to get some things cleaned up before I test out its road-worthiness. Need a new air filter (saturated with oil, and some MAF cleaner). Finger crossed that things are good from here forward.