Roof rack removal questions, 02' Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jroth142

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking to remove the roof rack on my 02' Z71 and wondered if there were any tips out there that would come in handy on the removal? It looks like I just remove the front and rear covers on each side and the bolts are under there? I'm curious how the midddle supports come off though, or are they even bolted down? I just wanted to make sure you didn't have to take anything off from the inside of the truck.
Also, I'm looking to replace it with the oem lower profile rack on the std tahoes and yukons. I'm assuming this will swap out with no problems?

Thanks in advance!

SWTZ71

Reaction score
there is a write up on that over at z71tahoe-suburban.com check them out.

jroth142

Reaction score
Thanks man. Unfortunatley, I haven't been able to come across the write-up. Don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction??

SWTZ71

Reaction score
This is what I found over there "The two center supports just slide in over the side rails. No bolts - when removing or putting on, want to move them together if you can so they don't bind up. Also may need a little friendly persuasion to make them move. I used a block of wood wrapped in cloth and a hammer to make mine move. Would be much easier if you have another person's help and two ladders. Otherwise you will be going up and down and back and forth and you will get tired and frustrated. Best of luck."
Hope that helps