Roof Rack - Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doubler8

Reaction score
Has anyone removed their roof rack for a cleaner look?

Any issues with doing it? Any pics or feedback?

noble

Reaction score
yup i took mine off for now until i buy the escalade roof rack.. but i kinda like how it looks with out one. just make sure you buy stainless steel button head screws so nothing gets in.

33866.jpg

33870.jpg

i like the white on white and thats what i plan on doin to mine
(i think too many ppl are doin the all black rob/big look) < dont get me wrong though it looks tight.

post pics of your ride!!

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well white on white has got Rick Ross written all over it

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed mine to paint the existing parts. I didn't look down in, but isn't the hole enclosed at the bottom?

Instead of the stainless plugs you can buy the push pins for door panels and paint the heads to match body color. You would just need to put silicone on pin as you insert it.

pics of roof rack holes and push pin here

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=4081

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take my roof rack off this weekend. It looks a lot better!

ockevin

Reaction score
Noble,

That is one sweet clean ride....Super smooth Boss.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ditched mine too...filled the holes with silicon and then got some body side molding and ran it front to back..can't even tell its there looks like anothe rib in the roof.
2361844_34_full.jpg

2361844_35_full.jpg

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that does look really good! where did you get that molding INTRUCKDESIGN? I took my rack off this weekend. It looks a lot better, but I'm looking for a good way to disguise those holes.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the molding from a local auto paint and body shop..it is a body side molding...I know I save the end of the box that had part numbers and the manufacturers name...I will look for it...molding is roughly 1" wide and came with 4 end pieces that are tapered as shown in the pics.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you very much, looking forward to your feedback

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check my thread from above? The holes are way easier to cover than adding a LARGE chunk of black plastic.

The pins I suggested are cheap and will more than cover holes. You can also paint them very easily if you really want to conceal the holes.

gregbj33

Reaction score
I removed mine, maybe took 5 mins. Also added the ipcw clear black led tails. Look really good, once i give it a bath, will post some pics.

greg

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check my thread from above? The holes are way easier to cover than adding a LARGE chunk of black plastic.

The pins I suggested are cheap and will more than cover holes. You can also paint them very easily if you really want to conceal the holes.

I will agree with your idea as being easier and cheaper...I actually did it that way at first, but it just didn't look finished off...you could still see the areas where the rivnuts were as they stick out of the roof and are not flush...so I tried this, and it too can be painted to match if one desires...with the Tahoe being my daily beater I decided not to risk the potential of chipping the paint off of it in the winter.

gregbj33

Reaction score

Do you have pics or does anyone, to show how it looks with the pins. I ran into the same problem, as far as the plastic piece still showing under the pin. Is there a pin our there that is rounded enough to sit flush on the outer edges, so it looks like a button. The ones I used sat on top of the white piece and looked horrible.

Greg

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg, when I did use those I had fairly large ones..like 1" in diameter and were dome shaped and they still would sit flush and instead of one continuos line I had 12 nipples on the top of my truck...either way works just as well as the other and I am not knocking the pin way...just thought the way I did it met my personal preference better.