Running rough and service light on :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scstables

Reaction score
HI all,

This 99 tahoe my husband picked up at the auction in October is now running rough, and the service light is on. :uhoh2: It is idling rough, and when you drive, you step on the gas you get vibration. Plus the exhaust is smelling burnt. What in the world could this be?

Reason I am asking is because we are having my cousin take a look at it tomorrow, and without the computer to hook it up to it will be a guessing game. I wish I could take it to the shop, but we can't right now, we have no income at the moment. :(

I have no back up to drive as my 88 daytona is sitting in the garage with a leaking heater core. Can't drive that. Just my damn luck.

I really, really miss my 2005 Tahoe LT :whymewhyme:

Bigbill

Reaction score
Go to auto zone or advanced auto parts they will read the codes for free but sounds like a miss fire code so plugs and wires along with a cap and rotor or bad injector but try tune up first

scstables

Reaction score
Do the 99's have spark plug wires? I know my 2005 did not have your standard plugs and wires, it was totally alien to me lol. Thanks it did sound like it is missing to me.

scstables

Reaction score
Thanks. I discussed this with two other mechanics through facebook, and they all agree it just needs a tune up according to the symptoms. Whew!!! This makes me feel better. Plus I was told not to drive it much as it could hurt the catalytic converter due to the service light flashing which means a severe miss.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the 99's have spark plug wires? I know my 2005 did not have your standard plugs and wires, it was totally alien to me lol. Thanks it did sound like it is missing to me.

Hi! sorry to hear u were having problems hope you got them fixed but referring to this all cars, trucks, etc. have wires and plugs and good thing it was just a tune up fuel injectors cost a lot of money for these suv's about 650 for all 8 injectors is what a shop wanted to fix my old 96 tahoe lt i used to have. Instead i just sold it to a mechanic for 1,000$ and bought a 98 tahoe unfortunately my gas pump had went recently and had to pay 260$ just to replace so guess we all have bad luck but that's the consequences of owning a 10+ year old suv right?

scstables

Reaction score
I sure hope all this 99 tahoe needs is a tune up. I am broke, don't have a lot of money. I tell you what, I sure wish I never had to sell the 2005 tahoe (had since it was new), I miss it dearly, it ran perfectly there were NO issues. :(

justimagination

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope all this 99 tahoe needs is a tune up. I am broke, don't have a lot of money. I tell you what, I sure wish I never had to sell the 2005 tahoe (had since it was new), I miss it dearly, it ran perfectly there were NO issues. :(

Have someone check the EGR valve before dropping a lot of $$$$$. It is electric with a electrical connection on top of the engine very close to where the top radiator connects to the thermostat. My guess it has carbon buildup which causes the valve to stick which really effects the idling and performance. JMHO......Good luck,
david g.