Setting Stepper Motors in Instrument Cluster/Panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sejo

Reaction score
I recently removed my instrument cluster to check on my fuel gauge (it has been eractic and marking incorrectly). I noticed that the fuel gauge "stepper motor" was looser than the others so I figured I either have to get a new one (can I get an individual stepper motor for the fuel gauge?) or replace the instrument cluster all together. I reinstalled the instrument cluster and started noticing that all of my gauges are out of whack now except for the Speedo, but that's b/c it has the "pin stop".

Did I jack up my instrument cluster/panel or is there a trick to readjusting them?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Jo

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having major probs w/ the fuel hand as well - if you look in general discussion the thread labeled - got my escalade cluster yada yada - i've narrowed the main problem down to the ECM itself

but - your problem may be totally different - because of all your guages doing it - sounds like you have a ground problem - if you pull your cluster back out, and look at the connector in the back of the dash, you will see you can remove it by pressing in on both sides and pulling it out, now, on the right side of it BOTTOM 2nd over from right - that is the ground wire (black wire w/ white lead) - how does the connector look - black? or is it ok? if it is ok, you may want to try to add a piggy back connector w/ another wire running to another ground.. and see if that helps at all

Oh ya, and if it looks Black TwinTT says you can clean it w/ a new pencil eraser - may want to try that