SFI to MFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hapyspaz

Reaction score
I have my buddy's 96 silverado in the garage right now, currently building him a new engine. There is a kit that converts the fuel system from SFI to MFI. We have purchased and installed it, very simple process.

What Im curious about is this, has anyone done this conversion before? Is it worth it? It seems likea great setup, much more stable than stock. I know GM makes a kit that does the same thing. Im actually thinking of doing this to my 99 2 door.

Any input and/or feedback would be appreciated.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it's worth every penny. You get rid of those stupid faliure prone poppet valves. Done quite a few conversions, a few customers have said that they got 1 to 2 mpg better afterwards.

inthechateau

Reaction score
Increased my performance, lost a lot of trouble codes, burning lots of rubber with the extra power i got from the change over. As 41 said, was worth every penny. All 25000 of them.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please explain this futher...

There is a way to get rid of our Spyder Injection unit?

I only knew ofone way...which a Mercury Mariner UIM (from a boat engine) and injectors)

this what were talking about?

hapyspaz

Reaction score
GM PART # 93441235

There are some aftermarket versions as well, I think Advanced Auto Parts has access to them (where my buddy got his).

I just completed the SFI to MFI conversion on my '96 Suburban with the 5.7 Vortec. I would recommend this conversion to anyone having problems with the original fuel injection system. My Suburban runs great now, smooth idle and better off-idle throttle response.

My Suburban was hard to start when hot, fuel was leaking into the intake manifold causing a flood condition. It would sometimes backfire and set the check engine light. I was guessing that it was either leaking injectors (or poppet valves) or a leaking fuel pressure regulator.

After removing the upper intake manifold, I could see that it was probably a leaking fuel pressure regulator because the carbon build up was washed away under the regulator.

Removing the upper intake is not difficult, but it takes a lot of time. I decided that once the upper intake was removed, I might as well convert to MFI which already includes a new regulator.

The part numbers for the conversion have been listed here before, but I will list them again:
93441235 - Fuel Injector Assembly
17113206 - Upper Intake Manifold Gasket Seal Kit
93442096 - Fuel Injector Bracket
All three parts are available from gmpartsdirect.com

You should also replace the two O-rings on the fuel line connections near the firewall:
22514722 and 22516256
gmpartsdirect has these, but they only sell them in packages of 10. You can buy them from your local Chevy dealer for around $1 each list price.

Comments about the conversion:
1. Take digital photos of all the hoses and wires before you pull everything apart, they will help when you re-assemble everything.
2. Keep track of the locations of the different intake manifold bolts and brackets, I stuck them through a piece of cardbord in their appropriate locations.
3. After all the bolts, hoses and wires are removed, the upper intake may still be difficult to remove. It is sealed to the SFI system with a large O-ring. Just keep pulling straight up and it will eventually come loose.
4. I don't know why you need a new bracket. I replaced mine, but the new bracket was identical to the old bracket.
5. Some people claim that you can save money by re-using the intake manifold gasket because it is formed rubber. Considering the amount of time required to remove and replace the manifold, I wouldn't recommend re-using gaskets.

Found this on another forum.

hapyspaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foreverfalcon40
Please explain this futher...

There is a way to get rid of our Spyder Injection unit?

I only knew ofone way...which a Mercury Mariner UIM (from a boat engine) and injectors)

this what were talking about?

This doesnt take away the spider injection, it replaces the poppet style injectors with more or less "real" injectors.

Old Style
57780-1.jpg

New Style
63886-1.jpg

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's a good conversion.... but GM also raised the warranty time for the old poppets. The last I heard, is if you have problems w/ the poopets, the first time, they will just 'clean' it. If it still goes bad again before 200k miles, then they will convert it to the newer injectors under warranty (free).

If you want to do it yourself, then it's about $250-350 for the kit. Personally. I'd say stick w/ AC Delco parts... at least it's a oem factory trusted piece. Oh, the conversion also calls for a bracket, for the assembly. This is not needed. Your original bracket that holds the old poppet assembly can be reused for the new setup.

I did too many mods, tune up, and updates when I installed my MFI, but the truck feels smoother, and idles well.

Good luck!~

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh... the extended warranty thing 'might' be a California thing... Not sure on that one... sorry.