Should I buy High Mileage 2005 Tahoe Z71???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob the Medic

Reaction score
I have never, ever owned a chevy. Most of my SUVs have been Jeep Grand Cherokees or Subaru Outbacks. Seriously considering a 2005 Tahoe Z71 with 5.3L V8 and 175,000 miles. Looks immaculate in photos and current owner has had it since 2008. Heads replaces last year. His dad was a Chevy service manager so loads of replaced stuff like belts, hoses, water pump, cams, lifters, timing chain, rockers, push rods, oil pump, thermostat, brakes, head gasket, shocks, ball joints, alternator, plugs and wires. All genuine AC Delco stuff. Trans, transfer case, front and read differentials serviced regularly. Basically is sounds like it has been well cared for.

1. How long do these vehicles last? I currently have a 05 Subaru Outback with 3.0 H6 motor and its running strong with 255,000 miles on it. Subarus last forever. Will the Tahoe? I only drive 10,000 miles a year. 16 miles a day for work at mostly 45 mph. Thank you for any and all recommendations. Don't want to jump from a trouble-free vehicle to one that will break down soon.

2. How long do the Cats last in these? Not sure it was ever replaced.

3. were the radiator leaking into trans problems fixed by 2005?

###

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM vehicles in my company fleet have had few issues. One 2003 has almost 300k miles. I have a 2005 with 250k mikes, 4x4, had to replace transfer case switch at around 100k miles and factory Bose radio at about the same time. It was used hard off road. I have done service religiously by Chevy. I had a couple issues on my 1997-1998 GM SUVs. Yukon 4x4 transmission replaced under warranty and 454 Suburban 4x4 exhaust issues. Both driven hard. Our Ford and Toyotas have had a lot of issues. Never owned a Subaru.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, a used vehicle can be a crap shoot sometimes. I buy used but know that may need work down the road. The work that was done would be worth even more if has all the paperwork to back up any claims. The Tahoe will be roomier than the Subaru. It is just whether it still meets your needs or were you looking because of a bigger rig need.

srm51475

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Z71 with 275,000 miles.Owned since new. Have not done any engine work like the one you describe. Just change oil, full synthetic, every 10K and other general maintenance like battery ,spark plugs and wires, brakes, alternator, belts, shocks, tires, rear window wiper and trans service. Still runs great. Problem now is it is starting to rust and looks bad, but it is the best vehicle I;ve ever owned. Seat foam is worn out, door hinges starting to sag and some electronic issues like no heat in rear vents, seat heaters not working.