Should I buy? (new owner maybe!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SourDiesel

Reaction score
Well I've been trying to sell my truck for awhile and I think I finally found a buyer.. Ive been looking at tahoes and yukons for awhile now and finally found one in my area.

The only thing is.. it's been in a flood. There's a company here that buys cars from insurance companies (floods, hail, totaled out cars) and fixes them and resells em.

I found this one, I drove it the other day.. It looked like it was in really good condition, the underbody had almost no rust (good for 6 year old truck in Minnesota) and the engine was spotless.

So, he said it had flooded the front end and the dash was completly torn apart. The seats are fine, hardly any visible damage..

35k miles. Im pretty sure I can talk him down in price too.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/571818534.html

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find me a new one for $12k I'll buy it tonight

o, i thought you said it was 35k, then i realised that was the miles. but i still would not trust a flood one. but im anal about that stuff. it sounds good though, no rust looks in good shape, and it sounds like you get a warrenty. :thumbsup:

SourDiesel

Reaction score
o, i thought you said it was 35k, then i realised that was the miles. but i still would not trust a flood one. but im anal about that stuff. it sounds good though, no rust looks in good shape, and it sounds like you get a warrenty. :thumbsup:

Nope, check out the craigslist posting. 35k miles.. Interior was perfect, exterior was perfect. Not a dent ding or scratch.

The truck I have now has about 110k miles and it pings and beeps and squeaks and squeals. Its all over the road.

This thing was SO straight, very smooth, sounded nice.. idled very nice. I'm thinkin **** it. This company has been here for 28 years doing insurance cars and they had a really impressive lot.

I might just go for it.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say try to get some kind of warranty then, just to be on the safe side.

zeokter

Reaction score
flooded truck= all bad look on auto trader!!!! youll find a better deal eventually!

Last edited:

SourDiesel

Reaction score
flooded truck= all bad look on trader!!!!

What you mean look on trader? The guy told me everything that was wrong with it and what they repaired (i looked up the carfax afterwords) and they include a list of everything that had been done to it.

The company offers warranties on all of their vehicles, and this is all they do (flood vehicles mostly)

http://www.eastside-auto.com/

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The primary concern with flood vehicles (and I'm sure you already know this) is not what will go wrong now, but what will deteriorate more quickly down the road. Electrical gremlins, premature rust and mold are the biggies to be aware of. At 35k you may have no problems, however at 70k you may start to get weird electrical issues, funny smells from the interior, etc. If you don't see these as major concerns, then that may be the truck for you.

SourDiesel

Reaction score
The primary concern with flood vehicles (and I'm sure you already know this) is not what will go wrong now, but what will deteriorate more quickly down the road. Electrical gremlins, premature rust and mold are the biggies to be aware of. At 35k you may have no problems, however at 70k you may start to get weird electrical issues, funny smells from the interior, etc. If you don't see these as major concerns, then that may be the truck for you.

Yessir I fully understand that flood vehicles are a big no-no. You make a good point.

He told me the front was the only part of the truck submerged (so engine bay and dash apparently) and the way to prove that is the seats are still 100% operable and other electronics inside the cab. But then again how the hell does only the front get flooded?

My main concern is not electrical or smell problems (I detail cars). I know the engines in these are strong so I dont know how well it would hold up.

I dont know man, just seems like a very good opportunity to pass up. I guarantee I can talk him down.. they sell 60+ cars a week. Im afraid it will be gone soon too!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir I fully understand that flood vehicles are a big no-no. You make a good point.

He told me the front was the only part of the truck submerged (so engine bay and dash apparently) and the way to prove that is the seats are still 100% operable and other electronics inside the cab. But then again how the hell does only the front get flooded?

My main concern is not electrical or smell problems (I detail cars). I know the engines in these are strong so I dont know how well it would hold up.

I dont know man, just seems like a very good opportunity to pass up. I guarantee I can talk him down.. they sell 60+ cars a week. Im afraid it will be gone soon too!

if its gone before you fully thought it through it means it was not the truck for you.

but the front can be flooded by driving it front in to a river or somthing. maybe a big puddle. or when it was flodding in the area the front was the only part submurged.

but i would put my money on the Origional owner swerved to avoid somthing and drove right in to a river, stopping before the whole truck got submurged.

SourDiesel

Reaction score
if its gone before you fully thought it through it means it was not the truck for you. /QUOTE]

Well im currently selling my pickup its listed in 2 places and I have someone interested so until it sells I cant buy it. If I sold it tonight I think id have to go buy it!!

Its so damn comfortable!

SourDiesel

Reaction score
heres all the pics. Tell me it doesnt look brand new.

1GNEK13V83J113701-1.jpg

1GNEK13V83J113701-2.jpg

1GNEK13V83J113701-3.jpg

1GNEK13V83J113701-4.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to admit, it does look like it is brand new for sure. The only hesitation I would have with buying one with flood damage is the fact that these trucks have a ton of electronics in them and it would be a matter of time that the electronic gremlins WILL begin to show their faces in you truck. More than likely that truck had to have spent a bit of time in the water and electronics (especially when the truck is running) do not like water when they are trying to work. It's just a big future problem in my opinion, but it does look pretty good. Good luck!!

SourDiesel

Reaction score
yeah man thats just my only main concern. Arrgh I just dont know, i dont want to pass it up but I dont want to have something thats just going to be a money hole in a year or two. But you never know til you take the chance..i dont know.!!!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to find a tahoe that clean in the cities, my uncle in elk river just picked up an 05 that was wrecked for $16k. LT loaded up and the only panel that doesn't fit perfectly is the passenger fender, I say go for it and sell the thing before the warranty is up.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats another thing, resale, i wonder how that will go when going to sell that one. but your right it looks very new, and has less miles than my 06 has.

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the title?
Does it have a clean title or does it mention the flood damage? This can make a big difference when you try to sell or trade it.
It does look like a nice; it would be a difficult decision for me too.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm out...would never buy a damaged car...I know some people that have bought wrecked/sketchy cars and all they do is fix one thing after the other...looks nice, until something goes wrong... no telling what is still slightly damaged...buy one from a dealership that hasnt been flooded or damaged in anyway IMO...do what you want but I wouldnt do it...just wait and look for one elsewhere

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Well I've been trying to sell my truck for awhile and I think I finally found a buyer.. Ive been looking at tahoes and yukons for awhile now and finally found one in my area.

The only thing is.. it's been in a flood. There's a company here that buys cars from insurance companies (floods, hail, totaled out cars) and fixes them and resells em.

I found this one, I drove it the other day.. It looked like it was in really good condition, the underbody had almost no rust (good for 6 year old truck in Minnesota) and the engine was spotless.

So, he said it had flooded the front end and the dash was completly torn apart. The seats are fine, hardly any visible damage..

35k miles. Im pretty sure I can talk him down in price too.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/571818534.html

RUN as fast as you can!