should i get it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

g4mbl3

Reaction score
hi, new here, regestered to see what you all thought. there is a local tahoe to me, and he only wants 2000. its a 98 2 door, with 13x,xxx miles, has ~6 inches of lift, and wont start, he thinks it is the fuel pump. there are a couple big dings, and scratches in the paint. just wondering if i should jump on this, as i cant find a local hoe for under 6k, or should i just wait and look around? thanks

718frankb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you feel like fixing it up yourself then go for it. its going to take a few grand to fix it up right. so it will probally equal the same money in the long run.as for me i like basket cases so i can fix it how i want !good luck and welcome to the forum

Beef

Reaction score
It all depends if you want a project or a runner out of the box. Why is the truck not starting?? Symptoms??

If you want a runner your best bet is to look for one with low miles or one that has already had the trans rebuilt

g4mbl3

Reaction score
hi, and thanks!
and umm, i was thinkin around a couple hundred to fix, haha, then just try to restore the paint myself. i am looking just looking for something other then my blazer i have now for a 2nd ride, and i want something already lifted. i was going to lift my blazer, but started with the shackles, and it took 4 days just on and off trying to get the frozen bolts out of the metal sleeve (which i had to torch).

but i found this tahoe, which would be the first V8 i would own, and its already lifted, and i LOVE the look of the 2 door tahoe, plus its just in my price range when i sell me blazer, as im still paying off my car. i love to off road, so i think this would be nice, just looking into others opinions. thanks again, frank!

g4mbl3

Reaction score
to beef: all he told me was he wanted to sell because he needed to get rid of some of his toys before he goes to iraq, then he put it behind his garage, and now it wont start, he said its the fuel pump. i sent him tons of questions, but he wasnt on yesterday, and i saw he was on at 8 this morning, but he never replied, so i dont know.

and i want a runner, even stock and then i could over time pay someone to put a lift kit on it, but even a stock runner around me there is like 1 for 6k, then dealerships have em for 10k+ and some of those even have 150k on the motor, so its like wtf. so i dont know. if i could find one cheap like this id get it in a hearbeat if it ran :(

Beef

Reaction score
to beef: all he told me was he wanted to sell because he needed to get rid of some of his toys before he goes to iraq, then he put it behind his garage, and now it wont start, he said its the fuel pump. i sent him tons of questions, but he wasnt on yesterday, and i saw he was on at 8 this morning, but he never replied, so i dont know.

and i want a runner, even stock and then i could over time pay someone to put a lift kit on it, but even a stock runner around me there is like 1 for 6k, then dealerships have em for 10k+ and some of those even have 150k on the motor, so its like wtf. so i dont know. if i could find one cheap like this id get it in a hearbeat if it ran :(

Well for your sake i think it is something simple, like mine I thought the started went on it because I would turn the key and all the lights would come on them when I would try to crank it nothing happened but all the lights were still as they should be come to find out I had low amperage on my battery.

Good Luck

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the person that is selling it on this forum because you said he was on at 8

g4mbl3

Reaction score
thanks, and no its on a different forum. to beef: how did you go about finding a tahoe that cheap? did you go to different dealers and look around, or just out of luck find it online? thanks everyone

g4mbl3

Reaction score
think im going to pass up this one actually. there is a different one for $5500 obo for a spotless black 95. has 6-7" lift with 35s. just gotta try to get that much money now :( which aint going to happen soon as im still paying off my car, and trying to sell my blazer. oh well, thanks

g4mbl3

Reaction score
ok, i have an ever changing mind. the guy replied back yesterday, and as far as i know i am getting it. just decided town it home, fix the pump, if thats not it, or something similar, then try to re-sell it at what i put into it.

he said when he turns the key, he cant hear the pump initiating, therefore making him think his pump is defective (which he replaced about 1-2 years ago). if its the pump, how much would something like a fix like that cost? looked on ebay and the pmp shipped would be $100. going down to look at it saturday or sunday depending on weather, and from there i will know for certain wether i will get it or not.

and to beef: was it just you had to charge your battery, or what did you do to fix that? looking for anything i can suggest to him so i can drive it home when i go down there, rather then go halves on a tow bill

hapyspaz

Reaction score
If it is the fuel pump, and it has a little life left in it. Get a big rubber hammer or something similar, bang on the bottom of the fuel tank and try to start it. It doesnt work all the time, but worth a shot.

As far as cost to fix, pumps arent too expensive, you have to drop the tank out of the truck to get to the fuel pump. Typical mechanic charges 200+ to drop the tank.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea if it is the fuel pump take a rubber mallet and beat on the gas tank. It has worked on both of my chevys

Beef

Reaction score
I got lucky and found mine at a public auction

Yeah i just had to replace the battery and all was well I would suggest when you go to pick the truck up bring and extra battery with you or a jump pack if you have access to one.....

Keep us informed

g4mbl3

Reaction score
yea, i searched his past posts on the forum he is on, and when it acted up on him aound the end of 07, they told him to do that, and it worked, that is up until now, and i told him to try it again, but he said he does it and he cant hear the pump kick on when the key is turned.

ok, and i will bring my jump pack also to see if that is it. thanks everyone, and i will update when i find out more