Ski & Snowboard Car carrier / Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering if any of you have a ski and snowboard carrier for either your roof top, or a hitch mounted one. The roof type ones seem pretty complicated to me (brackets, clamps, adapters...etc), but I don’t know a lot about them yet, but I think I like that idea better than a hitch mounted carrier? It seems like the simplest roof top system is to buy GM factory cross rails (2007 Tahoe) and attach the ski racks to the rails? Which do you have? What do you like and dislike?

Thanks,
Chad

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've narrowed it down to either a Thule universal 6 or a Yakima Fat6. Anyone have either of these.
Does anyone have roof rails for sale?

DC Tahoe

Reaction score
Hey Chad, I have the Yakima rack that holds 4 snowboards (could not fit the 6 board rack) and also the big daddy Yakima Sky Box. Both work excellent with my stock Tahoe cross rails...I recomend Yakima!

DC Tahoe

Reaction score
By the way you can see these in the lifted photo section...good luck both brands are great.

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using your factory roof rack (2007 and Up), yakima makes vertical Mighty Mounts (9V) that fit directly to your rack. They will attach directly to your older style ski / snowboard carriers. (I have a Buttondown 6) They don't show you these on their website, because they want you to get their new horizontal Mighty Mounts that are twice the cost. From what I understand, all of Yakima's new carriers come with the universal mounts included. Be aware that you may need the lifts too if using skis. Some bindings are large enough to hit your roof if you don't have them. Not expensive. This is the system I just put on my 07, and it works great. I don't know anything about Thule or other manufacturers. If you don't have a factory rack, you may be looking at towers and cross bars with any attachments. Yakima will help you with any questions on their support site too. Hope this helps.

PS...Invest in lock cores!!! Theft is an issue on racks.

DC Tahoe

Reaction score
No lie ...GET LOCKS! Got my board stolen off my rack 2 weeks ago (mine did not have Locks). I just got a tip the the punk traded it into a local shop for a new board. I am waiting for that shop to open this morning!!! I hope it is mine!!!