Slight clunk when shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scarpi

Reaction score
My 02 Yukon 4x4 with about 36000 miles on it has just started to have an occasional slight clunk on upshift from first to second. I don't notice it on downshifting to a stop only when accelerating. It seems to go away as the vehicle is driven a few miles or it is intermittant. Any ideas, u-joints, drive shaft? At one time before this problem occured the trans fluid looked dark and smelled slightly. The trans fluid has been flushed at 27000 miles and at 34500 miles and a new filter was installed both times. I have towed a 6500 lb trailer with this vehicle in the past. But it has the options to do that. The vehicle now has about 36000 on it as I mentioned before. Any info will help. I plan on taking it in for an inspection after the holidays. Thanks!

Last edited:

Yuzilla

Reaction score
I have this same problem in mine and the problem is variable. I have been told by a mechanic that this is normal in these trucks. Not sure I believe it, but I now turn my stereo up to compensate for the noise.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also been told this is normal however I have a friend with a 99 suburban and his did that on and off for awhile till his tranny went and then it cost him $2,200 to rebuild it

scarpi

Reaction score
This isn't normal because my 02 just started doing this. I've had it since new. Thanks for the info

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me a few times. But it isn't noticeable to the average ears, and it only happens on cold mornings. After everything gets to operating temperature, everything goes away. Maybe it has something to do with the fluids in the tranny not being circulated enough since it was a cold start? That's a complete guess though.

My mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee would do this too. Once again on cold mornings when nothing was warmed up...