So I went to Alabama... SES: 305, 306, 300, and again 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I left out thrus. morn on my Way to Alabama for a Youth Rally, before i even got to where i was meeting up with my Pastor my SES started flashing.. so of course i got off the interstate, and scanned the codes.. it was 305 - Cyl 5 Misfire Detected (it started doing it in Cruise Control going up a hill when it dropped back down a gear) so, i started messing with cyl 5 spark-plug wire.. made sure it had a good connection etc.. - it did.. so i cleared the code, and on i went with No cruise.. - met up with my Pastor and everyone else who was going, and started on the road - shortly after, SES just came on.. no flashing.. - waited about 100 or so miles till everyone pulled into a rest-stop - it was 306 - Cyl. 6 Misfire.. well, this time all i had time to do was clear the code - rest of the trip was OK i just didn't get on it and i averaged about 75mph the whole way.. - got into Ala. Got under the hood, got all the junk out of my way, and i started checkin the wires - Cyl 1 was un-plugged about half way.. well, of course i plugged this back in - everything else seemed fine - it Ran GREAT! while in Ala. - Coming home.. once we started on the mountains it did a Flashing SES.. didn't stop just slowed down to where it would stop misfiring.. and this one was 300 - Random Multiple Cyl Misfire... - ok cleared the code, kept going.. got back into NC, SES light came on and stayed on no flash.. - got home After a CRAZY! night of driving, (alot of problems not with my vehicle but with wrecks, and etc long story) - No sleep, went to Church, came home after checked the SES light - and it was 305 again

Well... I know it needs new plugs... they don't have alot of miles on them, but they are fairly old.. and i have never replaced the Coil.. so i'm gonna do that as well - how about the Dist. Gear? is that an easy one? - Also should i just go back to a factory coil? - Also i have a significant exhaust leak before Cat.. drivers side.. dunno if this helps matters out - going to have this fixed as well - And i think thats all of my questions... - Sorry, i'm extremely tired, and i'm leaving right after church tonight to go be a counselor for a Youth Camp so... it may be awhile before i get back to this topic..

TIA!

Malones99

Reaction score
same happened to me in Palm Springs CA, boy was it hot 120 or so, replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and wires, that was a year ago... no problems. Make sure you get a good Distributor cap, the cheep ones a know for problems.

andrew83

Reaction score
Yeah, Malones right, spend the extra dough and get the better Distributor cap, I've had problems with the cheepos before.