Spark Plug Boots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biermonkey

Reaction score
Is there a trick to getting the boot off of the spark plugs on a 2003 Tahoe with a 5.3L engine? Have have replaced spark plugs on other vehicles and all it takes is a small tug on the boot. But I tried to pull the boots off of the plugs on the Tahoe and no go. My next try would be using a wrench but I do not want to damage the boot.

sasquatch

Reaction score
try to twist the boot. that usually breaks them loose. if it doesn`t i use a pick with a curved tip and hook it inside the boot to break it loose.

i hope that helps.

MikeyAces

Reaction score
Ya I just bought an 03 with 100k on it and I did a complete tune up. The wires came off hard, a few I had to grab with pliers, I was also putting on new wires though.

tekkitan

Reaction score
if they havent been replaced in a while, i would just replace the plug wires too since you'll have them off. could help as much as new plugs

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat a few weeks ago but you really need to muscle them out....watch out for the last two on the passenger side, took me longer on those than the other six to get em out

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like this is your best friend

1205440482244-151722857.gif

Just don't pull the wires themselves or you'll be buying new ones.

vermbird

Reaction score
i having trouble gettting the #8 (passenger rear) spark plug out. any thoughts out there? vermbird 2001 tahoe 5.3 liter.

vermbird

Reaction score
getting spark plug out. #8 cylinder. passenger rear.

any tricks to getting the #8 spark plug out on my 2001 tahoe 5.3 engine? its the passenger rear plug. thanks. vermbird.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get yourself different length socket extensions and a knuckle. When I did mine I had to experienment with putting the knuckle in different spots within the line of extensions to get the right angle and the right spot. Pain in the you know what@!@!@!