speedo not working...HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newto04hoe

Reaction score
Hi guys...
I just bought an 04 Tahoe two weeks ago and it has been in the shop 2 times since, because the speedometer keeps stopping. I'll drive for about 20 mins and it slowly goes down to 0 and won't work the rest of the time I drive it. Obviously the idiots in the garage can't figure out the problem.
Has anyone else experienced this issue before?
They said they changed the speed sensor and the cluster. Ever since they changed the cluster I get "Service Brake Booster" on the DIC.
Can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Chris

Happy to be apart of this forum.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy fix on the speedo it is what they call the stepper motor each gauge has one behind it and 03-06's have this problem it is covered under warranty up to 70k if you are over that go to ebay in the search bar type in stepper motor you will find the info and pricing you need there.

Good Luck

y own 4n

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my 05 Gmc Yukon, 4.8l, 2wheel drive. After about 5 miles the speed starts dropping, mainly after I come to a complete stop. I've been using the tach to determine my speed. It does not effect the odometer, just the speed-o. Does anyone have a picture of the stepper motor location?

newto04hoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
They are sending the original cluster out to be rebuilt. Hopefully I'll have it back in a couple day.