Squeaky alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I put on a new alternator. Just the other day I put on a new A/C compressor and a new belt. Now the alternator squeaks like a son of a bitch at anything off idle until it warms up. After a minute it goes away. Until I turn on the air in the cab. Then squeaks start and my battery gauge dips, I'm guessing from not getting as much charge from the alternator.
If I wait to turn on the vent system until I'm rolling down the road it won't squeak until I come to a stop.
If I put belt dressing on it goes away for a few minutes then returns
Like I said it's new alternator and the pulley is smooth, feels line.

I think maybe the belt just doesn't like the alternator. Is there a more permanent way I can make the pulley a little more sticky?

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not replaced it. It's firm as ****. I thought of that. Could it still be bad even though it's got plenty of spring tension in it?
The alt pulley also gets warm, I should say hot, unlike the others.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may have gotten a bad alternator, i have a new one on mine that i killed with the system that was in it, close to the same symptoms.

if you can get it to start squealing take it into interstate, autozone, whatever you have close to you and have them check the system.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearings in the alternator? if that alternator is new, you may have gotten a bad one, I agree.