steering problems!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99ta-hoe

Reaction score
its a 99 tahoe with 135640 miles on it an the problem i have is that when im turning my steering wheel hits a sertin point n the courner turn an it jerks pretty hard to the right. an this only happens when i am courning right. does it an mid speeds an lower speeds. i have no clue what it could be since its my first 4x4 suv. coming up from the rice world.

any intel on this would be amazing suggestions welcome any help at all would be greatfull.

Z56 Tahoe

Reaction score
If it feels like you just ran over "ice" when it jerks, it's the speed sensor for the speed sensitive steering, common problem and an easy fix. Its located in the steering colume. The part is $30 and takes about 1-2 hours to replace. Just remember when shaft is unlocked do NOT let steering wheel spin, this will break clock spring for steering. I used bungy cords to keep steering wheel steady while a farted around down there. The wire connector is a PIA to get at, which is on top of the colume and not much room for peps with big hands. I have a hand drawn diagram if you need it, its what i used, just e-mail me and i will send it to ya.

Hope this helps.

99ta-hoe

Reaction score
If it feels like you just ran over "ice" when it jerks, it's the speed sensor for the speed sensitive steering, common problem and an easy fix. Its located in the steering colume. The part is $30 and takes about 1-2 hours to replace. Just remember when shaft is unlocked do NOT let steering wheel spin, this will break clock spring for steering. I used bungy cords to keep steering wheel steady while a farted around down there. The wire connector is a PIA to get at, which is on top of the colume and not much room for peps with big hands. I have a hand drawn diagram if you need it, its what i used, just e-mail me and i will send it to ya.

Hope this helps.

email me at [email protected] with that

trm64

Reaction score
if the steering feels stiff until you hit the certain point before it jerks, check the power steering fluid. my 99 tahoe and my friend's 98 suburban have experienced busted power steering hoses. it's an easy fix.

brauntre1

Reaction score
Having similar problems with my 99.

My problem is that when I steer especially to the right to the right it immediately begins to struggle almost as if my breaks are on or im turning too sharply. It begins to jump a bit and the tires slip.

any ideas on this one?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front end locked in? Might start a new thread...

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steering problems

I have to agree with lesterl sounds like you may have a 4WD actuator engaging make sure your in 2WD also may be the steering gear