Sub box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this prolly is a really stupid question, but i am getting a box for 2 12in subs and i can either get a box made of 1/2in hd particle board or one made with 5/8in mdf.
Which do you think is best?
Thanks

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
From what I have heard from some people, MDF would be the way to go. But what do I know, I'm just the 800lb gorilla in the room.

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thats what i assumed. Thanks
One more question. I am gettin 2 alpine type E 12's. Would a box with a bigger cubic feet per chamber hit harder/sound better or a smaller??....
....whats with the whole 800lb gorilla thing?? lol

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
That my friend is something I can not help you with. I wish I knew the answer for you.

The 800lb gorilla thing was something i got off a commercial, lol.

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alpine subs should have required amount of cubic air space to reach max preformance. You could go to Alpine's website to find out what or how much air space is needed for them to preform at there max.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Use MDF. It's denser than particle board, which makes it a far better choice structurally and in terms of acoustic quality. Birch is even better. And make sure it's at least 5/8" thick. As for sealed enclosure volume; you'll get extended low frequency range with a larger volume box, but you'll lose some sound quality, though maybe unnoticeable to most people. A smaller volume will give you tighter and more accurate low frequency response. If you want more "boomy" type bass and lower frequency extension, then go with a ported or bandpass type enclosure.

lwoodard2008

Reaction score
I wld suggest using 3/4" MDF. U will be better off in the long run. I wld stay within Alpines specs. .8 to 1.7 cf per sub. SEALED. Will be very clean sounding. Nice Sq.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MDF, the thinner stuff should work for you but I prefer 3/4" or 1" especially in a ported application. I've even glued and pressed two sheets of 3/4" together overnight to make big wattage enclosures, never hurts to overbuild stuff lol. You engine is a 323ci BTW :thumbsup:

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks to everybody, my decision is clear.
I am going with a sealed mdf box prolly 3/4in thick and about 1.25 cubic feet per chamber :)...

And boost...i know its 323ci :p i just like my stickers that say 327ci :p

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay...too far lol :p i dont even have the stickers on.
and my soul purpose as a teenager with a tahoe is to destroy ricers =)