Suddenly started wmoking at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chooko

Reaction score
Suddenly started smoking at start up

Vehicle is a 2010 Tahoe with the 5.3L. Has about 120,000 miles on it. I have owned it since about 60,000. Has always had what seems a large amount of water out of the exhaust and dripping off the muffler, but I have checked and checked and can't find any evidence that that is cming from anywhere but condensation. I also have read a lot of other people saying that theirs does the same thing. I don't THINK that is related to the problem I am having now, but...

Within the last week or so it has started putting out fairly thick white smoke at startup. The smoke only lasts for about 5-10 seconds and then it stops coming out. In all honesty I wouldn't be THAT worries about it except that it started so suddenly. It only seems to happen after a cold start, so something is accumulating somewhere in between shutdown and startup. I scanned it with my OBD scanner and got no codes, and no sign of any issues. I live int eh San Diego area where the weather is pretty much always the same, so I dont think this is related to any weather changes, and its never done it before in all the time that we have lived here.

Obviously I am worried about head gaskets, intake gaskets, etc. But hte coolant level appears normal in the overflow tank, and I see no evidence of a loss of coolant.

I have done a search and found only one thread, and it was somewhat inconclusive. So please, I am looking for idea's and suggestions, and any input will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Last edited: