Supercharger Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to this great forum and new to engine mods as well. I have a 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3 and want to give it some more power like everyone else:) ! I have been looking at superchargers, chips, and turbos and it looks like I would get a supercharger. Am I right in thinking this? Also, what other mods would I have to do to make a supercharger worth while. Thanks for the help!!

Val0412

Reaction score
Superchargers are great if you have the money.

I think the 5.3 has a 10.1:1 compression ratio so you should keep the boost relatively low. I'd say 6-9 pounds of boost. Then be sure to either dyno tune or send in for a tune from someone like Wester's or Nelson's. Either of them can give you a custom tune if you give them a list of the mods you've done. Really that's about all you need to do to protect your engine and get the most out of your supercharger. Some kits make you get different injectors, plugs or throttle body. But the kit manufacturers will let you know what else you will need.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Look for a kit that includes bigger injectors. Your pumping in a lot more air than the stock injectors can make up for efficiently. Some will come with injectors and some won't. An intercooler is also a good idea. If your going to drop the loot on a s/c, then you might as well spend a couple hundred more for an intercooler. The compressed air from the s/c will be hot. Cooler air is denser and much better for performance. The intercooler will cool down the air charge for better combustion and more power overall.
Look into opening the exhaust also if you haven't already and definitely get a dyno tune to bring everything together.

thearch

Reaction score
Also look at the kit and if they are asking you to use 29lb injectors the flex fuel vehicles already have these so you would not need new ones.