swirl marks in paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stimeyukon

Reaction score
does anyone else have swirl marks in there paint on there trucks? i mean from afar my paintjob looks pretty nice but up close the swirl marks are real bad and the reflection is blurry. my paint is black im wondering if its like that on anyone else paint finish

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several questions I have for you is how are you washing/drying your Yukon?? By hand?? What type of sponge/washing mit are you using?? What are you using to dry your Yukon?? Regular bath towel?? Microfiber drying towel?? Chamois?? Car wash - self-serve or automatic?? How you are washing/drying your Yukon directly effects the swirl marks that you are seeing in your paint.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to the wonderful world of owning a black vehicle

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As MadDawg and Evolved are suggesting, you have to baby black paint more than any other color for this exact reason. I had a black car once, it looked great, but it was too much of a pain to keep it that way for me to do it again.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have swirls too! sucks but that comes with owning a black car - should be a disclaimer! ha but its too cold to wash in the winter here so i take it to a car wash and thats what does it, summer its all me

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the truck ever been buffed with a electric buffer? It takes a skilled person to buff a black truck and not leave swirl marks. I had a 2000 tahoe limited (black) that when it needed wax I always paid (begining of every summer) a well know detail shop to do it. I never had swirl marks. A friend of mine had a black neo, the dealer damaged it when it was new the buff the entire car and left swirl marks he complained about it and they had to repaint the entire car to fix it.

97tahoe

Reaction score
Just traded in a red Tahoe for a silver and the main reason was to avoid swirl marks! I seriously obsessed over it.

I also now only go through touchless.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use all microfiber towels and washmit. I rinse off the car really well before ever touching it and work from the top down. I wash only one panel at a time and make sure the truck stays wet. I use a synthetic chamois to dry the truck. I follow with a quick detailer and more microfiber cloths. No swirls. This is my third black car and have learned to be gentle and pay attention to the details. It's turned more into a hobby than a burdon. There is just something about a black vehicle, when it's sparkling clean that is just amazing...

Tdahew

Reaction score
I bought my 08 Hoe used and it has swirl marks as well. I am a 90% wash by hand guy. I use microfiber towels and washmit to wash and a chamois to dry. Can I have the swirl marks buffed out? I don't want to have to pay to get it painted just yet.

iwaslowr

Reaction score
welcome to the wonderful world of owning a black vehicle

My first truck was black... it looked great after being waxed but was very difficult to keep that way. The slightest bit of dust in the air would easily prompt another wash. If I ever own a black vehicle again it will not be my daily driver... I have had white vehicles every since. Same smooth look and flaws don't show nearly as much as with black.

Can I have the swirl marks buffed out?

If simple waxing won't do the trick perhaps a compound and/or clay treatment followed by waxing will.

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a DA or a buffer i would use that with a mild pad and some sratch remover. The Sratch remover is mildly agreesive and will break down you clear coat getting to the swirl mark. A light polish will also work well. The swirls sit under the clear coat. If you want to clean it right i would get it washed, clay bar it, polish with a light polish, wax and you shouldnt have any swirl marks if you do this right. If you go into the Tech. section on here, a member is a perfesional detailer and he will answer all you questions.

I will post some pics of my tahoe. i just finished it last night. i did everything but without the clay and the DA.

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using microfiber towels!!! They rele help...you can find them...at autozone walmart costco........and wax ur car that helps get the paint out

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before
IMG_0206.jpg

After
IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

My truck isnt black, its metallic black. I didnt clay it this time but all i did was a hand wash, polish, and wax.