Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dub02gpgt

Reaction score
I need to do an oil change soon and i'm going to switch over to royal purple in the motor. i am also considering switching all fluids to royal purple but i am wondering for example in the differential what gains are there by going to a synthetic oil or am i just spending foolish money?

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is never foolish to switch to synthetic for reasons of logevity, wear, or performance. There is some debate if over the long haul there is a return on your investment if you are looking to increase mileage enough to pay back for the extra cost of synthetic fluids. I run Mobil 1 over RP pased on the 2 bucks a quart extra for RP. I want to run synthetic in the transmission but I just don't know which one is best for that application yet. When I change the fluid in the rear diff I will either use Mobil 1 gear lube, Royal Purple, or Red Line's recomendation.

You will also be happy to know that your contribution is neither contributing to Middle East terrorism or the E85 scam by purchasing sythetic lubrication.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gained 1mpg in my old 2wd tahoe and the limited slip engaged much smoother. I've been running rp motor oil in all my vehicles for years and it does make a slight difference, it actually diminished the front main leak on my tahoe (very strange for a synthetic). I'm changing the fluids in my front and rear diffs next week along with the tcase and it should net me some mileage and smoother driving. I'd only run the gm auto trak fluid for the tcases in these trucks but they drive much better with the rp in the diffs, schaeffers is good stuff for these trucks too.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking along the same lines. I know I want to move over to synth oil but was also looking for info on synth trans fluid.

what's best?

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am at about 64k on my Yukon. I called my local Chevy store to get a maintenance schedule and the lady told me that I pretty much had to do everything at this mileage.

Check all fluids and fuel filter, run a bottle of Fuel System cleaner through. Maybe plugs.

Now I have been thinking about changing out ALL of the fluids anyways. Is it worth the extra cost to switch to Royal Purple in EVERYTHING? Engine, Transmission, Diffs, Rear End?

Obviously for the Power Steering and Brakes I will run a regular fluid. But I am looking for better mileage. I know that anything I put in will show an improvement but I want the best for the longest time. This 11.7 MPG is killer.

I will start a new thread if you guys see fit.