Tahoe=Blazer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowautoxr

Reaction score
Ya'll have been kind enough to answer what I'm sure you think are ignorant questions. I'm sure you can answer this one. My son has been looking for a 2 door Tahoe/Yukon. Looking around it seems that well at least in '94 they made a full size 2 door Blazer. Are they the same with just a different name or is there more to it?

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty much i think could be wrong

Last edited:

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the model year 1995, Chevrolet moved the name "Blazer" to the S-10, platform and started calling the full size model, the "Tahoe". :)

slowautoxr

Reaction score
Yea I tried that on another question I had regarding 2 door Z71's. It wasn't accurate. I decided to go straight to those who would know. I did a search in this forum but did not find my answer - hence the post.

Sinjin

Reaction score
Here's the deal.

In my estimation there is only one Blazer and they stopped making those in the early 90's.

To answer your question, yes if it's a full size vehichle the Blazer and the Tahoe are the same. Just make sure it's not an S-10.

Now the history. Before the so called S-10 Blazer, lived what I consider to be the real Blazer. This was the one the US military used for a while. It was also known as the K-5 Blazer. which if not restrained could pull down a house. Then came along the S-10, which was called the Tahoe. Then the K-5 was retired for a new body style in the mid 90's (may have been erlier). At first this was called the Blazer too. confused yet? Then Chevy got the bright idea to switch the two names. So some time in the mid 90's the Tahoe become the Blazer and the Blazer become the Tahoe. :confused2: Not sure what the story is behind the name change. So in the end you had the S-10 Blazer and the full size Tahoe. The S-10 isn't made any more. So now we're left with the full size Tahoe.

Confused yet?

Last edited:

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then came along the S-10, which was called the Tahoe.
Confused yet?

The s10 pickup was called a tahoe or the s10 blazer was called a tahoe? My parents bought an s10 blazer when they very first came out and it was called an s10 blazer.

I thought there was a truck trim package called tahoe, I think it had little water waves on the tahoe badge but I could just be imagining that.

edit: looked on google some and they are saying it was a trim package, looks like on s10 pickups and blazers.
look at this fugly truck: http://www.kelolandautomall.com/show.aspx?vid=1193598&limit_body=

So our tahoes were named after a trim package just like silverado used to be a trim package. And wikipedia says a tahoe (like we all have) is called a Chevy Silverado in mexico. Weird.

edit again: some discussion on another board, they say tahoe=trim package for s10 p/us and blazers too. http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/had-never-seen-vehicle-s10-tahoe-64221/
Envoy and Trailblazer were trim packages before they were vehicles too, chevy even had a Durango pacjage they're saying.

did the full size blazer have its removable top all the way until it went to gmt 400?

Last edited:

Sinjin

Reaction score
The s10 pickup was called a tahoe or the s10 blazer was called a tahoe? My parents bought an s10 blazer when they very first came out and it was called an s10 blazer.

I thought there was a truck trim package called tahoe, I think it had little water waves on the tahoe badge but I could just be imagining that.

edit: looked on google some and they are saying it was a trim package, looks like on s10 pickups and blazers.
look at this fugly truck: http://www.kelolandautomall.com/show.aspx?vid=1193598&limit_body=

So our tahoes were named after a trim package just like silverado used to be a trim package. And wikipedia says a tahoe (like we all have) is called a Chevy Silverado in mexico. Weird.

edit again: some discussion on another board, they say tahoe=trim package for s10 p/us and blazers too. http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/had-never-seen-vehicle-s10-tahoe-64221/
Envoy and Trailblazer were trim packages before they were vehicles too, chevy even had a Durango pacjage they're saying.

did the full size blazer have its removable top all the way until it went to gmt 400?

The s10 pickup was called a tahoe or the s10 blazer was called a tahoe
I was talking about the S-10 SUV not the pickup.

Not sure about the trim package. I just know the name changed sometime in the mid 90's. Not talking about pickup trucks.

The tops did come off of the full size blazers up till the end of the K-5 body style.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tops did come off of the full size blazers up till the end of the K-5 body style.

Not true, the removable top was only thru the 1975 model year. After that they were no longer removable.

Sinjin

Reaction score
Not true, the removable top was only thru the 1975 model year. After that they were no longer removable.

Dude, you need to stop using wikipedia :smilielol:. I had a 1987 K-5 Blazer with a removable top.

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My '79 Blazer had the removable top. Wiki must have been edited without having their facts checked.
I loved that Blazer. Definitely should have held onto it.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't using wiki for that one, but apparently my sources are just as wrong, lol.

But in my defense, I've seen quite a few k-5's in the local junkyards, and I haven't found any with removable tops that were built after 75. I was trying to find a door for a friend's 75 k-5, and all I could find were from non-removable top k'5 Blazers. All were built after 75.

Sinjin

Reaction score
I wasn't using wiki for that one, but apparently my sources are just as wrong, lol.

But in my defense, I've seen quite a few k-5's in the local junkyards, and I haven't found any with removable tops that were built after 75. I was trying to find a door for a friend's 75 k-5, and all I could find were from non-removable top k'5 Blazers. All were built after 75.

No problem. I was just poking fun about the Wiki thing.

I still don't understand how you're coming up with K-5's with non-removable hard tops, cause all K-5's had removable tops. Suburbans didn't. Is it that your expecting the entire top from windshield to tail gate to come off? If that's that case then I could see why you think that. The first Blazer's had a removable top that would expose the drivers compartment and bed or passenger area. When the K-5's came out they changed the design so that the top came off like a camper top to expose only the bed or passenger area. This way the drivers compartment still had a hard top over it. But most of the top was still removable. I think GM did this for safety, not sure. Is this what you're talking about?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. I was just poking fun about the Wiki thing.

I still don't understand how you're coming up with K-5's with non-removable hard tops, cause all K-5's had removable tops. Suburbans didn't. Is it that your expecting the entire top from windshield to tail gate to come off? If that's that case then I could see why you think that. The first Blazer's had a removable top that would expose the drivers compartment and bed or passenger area. When the K-5's came out they changed the design so that the top came off like a camper top to expose only the bed or passenger area. This way the drivers compartment still had a hard top over it. But most of the top was still removable. I think GM did this for safety, not sure. Is this what you're talking about?

Actually, you are right on the money with that.:yesnod: By removable top, I was thinking top of the cab. I know that the rear portion was removable. Sorry for the confusion. :D