Tahoe timing belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to look at a Tahoe on Fri. 2003 Z71, 125K, $8999. I asked about the timing belt and the dealer told me it's "part of the internals" and is good to at least 300k? Was he feeding me a bunch of BS? He said he used to work at a Chevy dealer and seemed to know a lot about the Tahoe. Thanks.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
The Tahoe Suburban do not use a timing belt. The engine in these trucks are an OHV, overhead valve design. The cam and crank are operated by a timing chain which is an internal part.

Now as part of maintenance, 300k is more than pushing it, IMHO. Most of the time you can squeeze 150-175k outta it before it develos enough slack to throw off the ignition timing.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought as well. I was pretty sure, they'd have to have chains. The truck seemed to run really nice. Drove tight too.

Thanks again for your help Sepiroth.

cbutler25

Reaction score
Thanks, I was planning on forking out the cash for a timing belt service but there is no need for it.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know there is no recommended time to replace the chain. There are some things to look for though. Pay close attention when you drain your oil and see if you have any debris in there that doesn't look good. I used to drain my oil and anytime after 100k miles I would strain the old oil through a screen to see if anything was in there. If there is then could be anything including timing components coming apart. It was anal I know but I did not like doing internal engine work and the oil screen inspection took maybe an extra 15-20 minutes. As long as the chain stays together and the slack is within an allowable spec then you are good to go. Good quality oil and filter at regular intervals sure helps, also.