Tail Light!!!! WTF!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am coming home from work and backing my trailer on to the side of my garage as usual, I reversed, then need to pull ahead to straighten it out and shifted into "NEUTRAL" of all things, needless to say, I rolled into the trailer and cracked my passenger side tail light. I need some input on who has some good ones out there, I know "GetWired" thinks highly of his IPCW's, just wondewring if there are any other brands out there to consider, I need to order a new set pronto, I can't stand looking at the cracks on the light. Dealership said it would be $139 for the light by ITSELF, maybe I can spend a couple more ducats and get a cooler set that OEM.

:cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
291977335.jpg

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it's only the tail-light!

Man, I have visions of jack-knifing my trailer like you described too, and I'm glad you only trashed a tail light. I almost backed my trailer into a tree the other day, trying to turn around on a one-lane dirt road I mistakenly turned on to. DOH!

Anyway, yes, I dig my IPCW's. I think they look cooler than the stock Denali tails, but I think there are a few options out there. You could do modded Escalade tails; get some of those other ones that Jazzejeff sells; or even get the OE tails (www.oehq.com, free shipping on orders $100+) and use some VHT night-shades to darken them; throw some LED bulbs in the stock tail housings with some load resistors; blah, blah, blah... I still like the IPCW's because there are color options and they're plug-and-play.

Good luck!

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Man, those look BAD @$$!!! Black looks amazing, got any night shots??? BTW, what kind of tires are those???

Man, I have visions of jack-knifing my trailer like you described too, and I'm glad you only trashed a tail light. I almost backed my trailer into a tree the other day, trying to turn around on a one-lane dirt road I mistakenly turned on to. DOH!

Anyway, yes, I dig my IPCW's. I think they look cooler than the stock Denali tails, but I think there are a few options out there. You could do modded Escalade tails; get some of those other ones that Jazzejeff sells; or even get the OE tails (www.oehq.com, free shipping on orders $100+) and use some VHT night-shades to darken them; throw some LED bulbs in the stock tail housings with some load resistors; blah, blah, blah... I still like the IPCW's because there are color options and they're plug-and-play.

Good luck!

I am still beating my head into the wall. Yours are all plug and play, even a jack knifing fool like me can get that right, how difficult is it to get the units on and off the vehicle, a lot of peeling back panels???

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ultra-simple.

Open the lift-gate, remove two screws holding in the stock assembly. Move the reverse bulb over to the new IPCW housing, connect the harness to the stock assembly harness. Slide the light into the body and put the screws back. Repeat other side (well, duh). Seriously, it only takes like 5 minutes per side! ;)

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the lift-gate, remove two screws holding in the stock assembly. Move the reverse bulb over to the new IPCW housing, connect the harness to the stock assembly harness. Slide the light into the body and put the screws back. Repeat other side (well, duh). Seriously, it only takes like 5 minutes per side! ;)

Just ran out there, it does look simple, I need to get me some lights, what do you think of the Gen3 lights? I like that they have one more row of LED's. Have you heard anything negative or positive about these?

http://www.k2motor.com/lt-den07jmg3led-ks.html

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that K2 sucks, and I've heard that K2 is great. I have no personal experience with them, so your guess is as good as mine. I think these K2 ones are what Jazzejeff sells. I do think they look really cool, FWIW...

Why not get a pair, and do up a nice little review er sumthin for us? ;)

Good luck!

GMCYukonDenali

Reaction score
Getwired, what is the model number of your IPCWs? I really like the amber turn signals. However, I can’t seem to find that look on IPCW’s website. They have two models where the outer column of LEDs are amber, but I don’t see what you have (i.e., Bermuda black with amber—unless the oval amber appearance is just a result of the picture).

Thanks.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard Ruby Red -- LEDT-611CR

Nah, sorry, it's just a result of the over-exposure of the photos. The turns and brake lights are all red in mine. They do have a dual-color version with amber turns (LEDT-611CA and LEDT-611SA) but not in ruby red or ... Mine are the standard ruby red ones. Sorry to disappoint!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those tail lights are NUCKIN FUTS. I remember jackknifing my trailer in the 06 yukon, thought i just put a slight dent in the crome bumper, woke up the next morning to find a HUGE GAPEING HOLE in the entire left fender, 800 dollars later i traded the 06 in. :smilielol:

But i want some cool tail lights, and i want those 700 dollar INfinity fx35 headlights that GW posted, but i cant justify that kinda money on light:lol:

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like these...

these are the K2 second gen.. that after a few mods.. they work fine..

Attachments

• new picture4.JPG
    new picture4.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 40
  • img_0140.jpg
    img_0140.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Picture 189.jpg
    Picture 189.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture 191.jpg
    Picture 191.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Picture 192.jpg
    Picture 192.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What exactly were these mods you made to the lights, also, aren't the Gen 3's out? When you use the turn signal, do all 3 rows flash or is it just one?

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that K2 sucks, and I've heard that K2 is great. I have no personal experience with them, so your guess is as good as mine. I think these K2 ones are what Jazzejeff sells. I do think they look really cool, FWIW...

Why not get a pair, and do up a nice little review er sumthin for us? ;)

Good luck!

I will try, I have a hard time venturing into unchartered territory as far as auto parts are concerned. I have to replace these so I will definitely have to do something about this.

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly were these mods you made to the lights, also, aren't the Gen 3's out? When you use the turn signal, do all 3 rows flash or is it just one?

just added some load resistors for the turn signals.. and some minimal trim to make them fit flush..

Jeff might have the updated version where the resistors are not needed but if they are still are you can get then at superbrightleds.com.. I suggest that if you go this route.. just get them installed by a good shop to make sure everything is done right.

Good luck!! This has been one of the best mods i have done.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Eagle Eye LED tail lites that Jeff sells have three rows and they all come on w/ brakes &/or turn signals.

When removing the OEM lites, be sure to put a cloth under them covering the rear bumper as when you pull them out, it will prevent scratching the paint. You will have to tug fairly hard to pull the tail lite posts out of the body sockets. Once removed, it is simply plug the new ones in to the existing harness and installing. No load resistors req'd.

Last edited:

3shotsofblack

Reaction score
look great

ok those look great now are they escalade taillights and what does the K2 mean i have read that if i go with the escalade lights i have to also change the rear pilar aboce it so it doesn't look out of place