taking off the side door guards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a smooth look, no emblems which I have already done and I want to take off the door guards too.

anyone ever done this? eventually I will go the complete Denali conversion, headlights obviously are in the works. But the door guards I want to go.

Thoughts? also is there anything I should be concerned with, will there be any issues taking them off? since they probably never have been off since 2004 when the car was made.

thanks

Joe

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is your truck? I removed all my moldings from my black 04 last year - looks great. Takes a little effort and you might need to compound some spots, but its well worth it. Get yourself a 3M pinstripe removal wheel and it will make much quicker work of it. There is a thread around here somewhere with everything you need to know.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched for a removal thread but did not find it.

I have carbon metallic yukon

How long did it take you to do this and did you need to heat up the sides to pull it off?

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes a while.. a few hours...
I used the following:
Hair dryer
3m Adhesive remover
plastic spatula (Some people use fishing line or dental floss)
3m Pinstripe removal wheel on my cordless drill

There are 3 rows of double sided tape beneath the moldings. Heat up the end of a molding and try to pull it from the truck. if it is stubborn then use the plastic spatula. keep heat on it as you pull - pull a few inches and then heat up the next few inches - keep going til the piece is off. Try to pull off as much tape as possible before breaking out the adhesive remover and removal wheel. Once you get the molding off its time for the fun stuff... Just sit down and be patient while removing the tape goo. Its gonna take a while

Here is a link to a removal wheel on ebay. It will take half the time if you use the wheel.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone have a picture of a black or dark gray without the side mouldings?

I need to show my wife since she does drive the car mostly she wants it to look good too but I like the clean look, , ultimately it will get escalade roof rack, and handles

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes a while.. a few hours...
I used the following:
Hair dryer
3m Adhesive remover
plastic spatula (Some people use fishing line or dental floss)
3m Pinstripe removal wheel on my cordless drill

There are 3 rows of double sided tape beneath the moldings. Heat up the end of a molding and try to pull it from the truck. if it is stubborn then use the plastic spatula. keep heat on it as you pull - pull a few inches and then heat up the next few inches - keep going til the piece is off. Try to pull off as much tape as possible before breaking out the adhesive remover and removal wheel. Once you get the molding off its time for the fun stuff... Just sit down and be patient while removing the tape goo. Its gonna take a while

Here is a link to a removal wheel on ebay. It will take half the time if you use the wheel.

does the double stick tape go all the way across the moulding? or is it just held on by spots of double stick tape?

what will the wheel do and how do you exactly use it? I used some goo gone and my fingers I was able to heat it up enough to rub my thumb across it and it would bunch up and I would pull it off. Does the wheel eat away when you use it, so I will need more than 1? thanks for the info again

Joe

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of my truck without moldings:
yuk%20004.jpg

yuk%20006.jpg

Each piece of tape runs the entire length of the molding

The wheel does the same thing as your thumb.. Just a lot faster! it just bunches all the tape goo into chunks that fall off. The wheel is kinda like a piece of rubber. it does wear out, but you could do atleast 4 trucks before it needs replacement.