Tech: How-to install shocks (2001 Tahoe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked about this about a month ago, being nervous about the potential for coilovers and all those fun, fun parts about shocks.

Turns out, this is a simple bolt-on procedure. I'd install the rears first, as they are the easiest.

Rear shock:

1. Remove the wheel and get the truck on jack stands. Chock the opposite rear wheel for safety's sake.

2. Remove the upper bolt first using a 13/16 ratchet. The rear bolt is right against the bed's floorboard, so it's handy to have a stubby ratchet holding it in place. Also - if the 13/16 is too tight a fit, try using a 7/8 on the rear.

3. Remove the lower bolt using the same 13/16 setup.

4. Bolt the top of the new shock on first.

5. Compress the shock a bit and get the bottom bolt on.

Front shock:

1. Remove the wheel and put the the truck on jack stands. Chock a rear wheel for safety.

2. Remove the lower bolt first using the 13/16 setup.

3. Place a 17mm ratcheting wrench on the nut in the engine compartment. Grab the top with vise grips or an adjustable wrench to get the nut off. The piston will spin if you just use the ratchet.

4. Remove the shock and replace with the new one. Do not use the old rubber feet - the new shock should include the proper setup.

5. Do the reverse of #3 to tighten the top of the shock down.

6. Compress the shock slightly and fit into the lower bracket. Use the 13/16 wrench to tighten.

Done with a nice, tight ride.

Attachments

• 1316.jpg
    1316.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 217
  • bilsteins.jpg
    bilsteins.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 239
  • lower_front.jpg
    lower_front.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 208
  • lower_rear.jpg
    lower_rear.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 185
  • upper_front.jpg
    upper_front.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 244

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up, does anyone know if there is anything different with the autoride shocks? MIne have started leaking and I need to get them fixed soon. Thanks!

Oh and does anybody know if any companies such as Rancho, Procomp, Fabtech, etc. make the auto ride shocks. I saw the ones on the arnottindustries.com website but was wondering if other companies make an upgraded version. Thanks for all the help! I have a 01' hoe at stock ride height

Last edited:

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody? Im sceduling an appointment at my local shop late next week for a few other things and was wondering if I should have them install the arnottindustry ones or if there are better ones out there. Thanks again to all!

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey puck just wanderin how ur visit to the shop went and if you found anythin better than stock for your shocks. I have the 03 autoride so any info on this how ride feels any benefits cons or otherwise would be apreciated

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...my mechanic ended up quiting so I had to use another guy. Put them on and now the pump doesnt work. I took it back and the guy couldnt figure it out so he gave me my money back. I towed a uhaul over christmas though and had no sag though. Just no working pump at this time. I am waiting for my mechanic to get his own shop then I will have him take a look and see if they fried another pump while hooking the shocks up.

In my opinion if you had to replace them I wouldnt go with stock. Even if you are going to be towing, for the price of them, you could get a really nice aftermarket set up.