Tech: Quad beam headlight mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on disabling your front turn signals all together? how are you going to put 9005's in the drl and parking lights and keep turn signals? No Disrespect... i just might want to do this:thumbsup:

If I do switch out my Parking Lights for the 9006s, I wouldn't do the 9005's because I don't want to be pulled over and I don't need 3 brights on when I have the lights on, I would see if I could wire them to still blink as turn signals. Keep in mind I have a 97 so my DRLs are my "lows". :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on disabling your front turn signals all together? how are you going to put 9005's in the drl and parking lights and keep turn signals? No Disrespect... i just might want to do this:thumbsup:

thats what arm signals are for, RIGHT :smilielol:

NO DOESNT YOUR TAHOE HAVE TWO PARKING LIGHTS ON EACH SIDE, one on the side and one on the front, the front will have 9005 and the side will still have regular lights.

p.s. i dont need 4 different highs, but I WANT 4 highs, just an ego thing i guess, my truck is brighter than yours kinda thing

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what arm signals are for, RIGHT :smilielol:

NO DOESNT YOUR TAHOE HAVE TWO PARKING LIGHTS ON EACH SIDE, one on the side and one on the front, the front will have 9005 and the side will still have regular lights.

p.s. i dont need 4 different highs, but I WANT 4 highs, just an ego thing i guess, my truck is brighter than yours kinda thing

I guess I have never looked at the "my truck is brighter than yours" ego booster, I usually look down at the people in Explorers and go my truck is bigger than yours! :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hey JK, I asked this up above but you might of missed it, so here it is again sorry for the repetitiveness. I was looking at my parking lights and came up with a "brilliant" idea. I was wondering if I could someway replace the parking lights with the 9006 "lows" I think it would put down much more light on the road, and also look pretty sick! Would you have any idea of how I could do this? (Oh, and if its illegal I don't really care, there a few things on my cars that I look the other way on and play dumb about). :Chevy:

Are your lens orange or clear with an orange bulb?
You could get a set of 9006 headlamp sockets from the dealer and re-wire them to come on with your highs, lows, or however you plan on using them. But don't wire directly to your existing headlamp or parking wires, cuz you'll draw more current than what the circuit is designed for. Instead, use a relay. And you'll probably have to mod the housing where the socket locks into to allow the 9006 socket to fit. AND, don't forget about the increased heat. I'm not sure how the smaller plastic composite housing will hold up to the increased heat from a headlamp bulb. I'm thinking not too well after some time.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your lens orange or clear with an orange bulb?
You could get a set of 9006 headlamp sockets from the dealer and re-wire them to come on with your highs, lows, or however you plan on using them. But don't wire directly to your existing headlamp or parking wires, cuz you'll draw more current than what the circuit is designed for. Instead, use a relay. And you'll probably have to mod the housing where the socket locks into to allow the 9006 socket to fit. AND, don't forget about the increased heat. I'm not sure how the smaller plastic composite housing will hold up to the increased heat from a headlamp bulb. I'm thinking not too well after some time.

I have clear lenses with orange bulbs, and when I was looking at the socket they looked large enough to not have to make them bigger, but figure out how to make them stay would be challenging, I think the plastic would hold up as they look and feel the same plastic as the headlights, and they have handled the temp. with no problem. Finally where would I get a relay? Thanks for the info! :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
great idea, although im gunna use 9005s, IM GUNNA SQUEESE EVERY WATT OF POWER OUT OF THIS TRUCK TO LIGHTS.

NOW MY LIST OF LIGHTS

i decided to go back to silverstar ultas as a cop pulled me over for saying my lights were illeagle, he let me off with a warning, but only if i changed my lights.

so now my list of lights,

low, silverstar ultra
high, silverstsr ultrs
fog, silver star - the whiter brighter halagon - no ultra out

MODS,
quad beam mod, plus fog mod
add 4 kc off road lights to the roof
change the drls, to 9005s ULTRA- give them their own switch
change parking to 9005s silverstar ultra- give them thier own switch

im probably going to abandon the entire light switch system, and change to seperate switches for all lights

lables "fog", Lows, highs, offroad, aux high, aux 2 high . do you think nasa will see me from space now. :Chevy: , is this possable or am i going to get way over my head here?

You'll be handy if anyone needs a search party during the night:D
Keep in mind that all those lights will draw a lot of current, so make sure you're not overloading your alternator.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I have clear lenses with orange bulbs, and when I was looking at the socket they looked large enough to not have to make them bigger, but figure out how to make them stay would be challenging, I think the plastic would hold up as they look and feel the same plastic as the headlights, and they have handled the temp. with no problem. Finally where would I get a relay? Thanks for the info! :Chevy:

You can get a relay at any auto parts store and wire as follows:

Socket ---- One wire from each socket will go to ground. The other wire from each socket will go to contact # 87 from the relay.

Relay Contact
30 ----------- To Battery +
87 ----------- Wire from bulb socket
85 ----------- Ground
86 ----------- + lead from trigger source (parking light, headlight, switch, etc.)
87a ---------- Not used

Make sure to fuse the lead coming from the battery to the relay. A 25A fuse should be good.

riceplanter

Reaction score
I noticed you mentioned "gutted MAF", under list of mods! What is that?

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a relay at any auto parts store and wire as follows:

Socket ---- One wire from each socket will go to ground. The other wire from each socket will go to contact # 87 from the relay.

Relay Contact
30 ----------- To Battery +
87 ----------- Wire from bulb socket
85 ----------- Ground
86 ----------- + lead from trigger source (parking light, headlight, switch, etc.)
87a ---------- Not used

Make sure to fuse the lead coming from the battery to the relay. A 25A fuse should be good.

Alright I'll take a look at all this and see if I can even do it without ruining my lighting system, but thanks for the info! :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I noticed you mentioned "gutted MAF", under list of mods! What is that?

De-screened the mass airflow sensor. The screen on the MAF can be removed to increase overall cfm (airflow), especially at higher rpms. Aftermarket MAFs are pretty much like the stock MAFs without the screen. The increase isn't enough to notice by itself, but helps in conjuction with other intake mods. Plus it's a free mod that only takes a couple minutes.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be handy if anyone needs a search party during the night:D
Keep in mind that all those lights will draw a lot of current, so make sure you're not overloading your alternator.

i do alot of long weekend beach trips down in nc, and now is the absolut best time to surf down there because there are alot less tourists, but it gets dark at about 6 here and when you go out to eat you come back and night and can bairly see even with highs, so im hoping to get the extra light power, im thinking maybe for now just to do the kc offroad lights as well as a dolde on the low high and fogs.

i have added a yellow top battery.

i have upgraded to a 200 amp high preformace alternator and may even do a duel alternator set up

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
i do alot of long weekend beach trips down in nc, and now is the absolut best time to surf down there because there are alot less tourists, but it gets dark at about 6 here and when you go out to eat you come back and night and can bairly see even with highs, so im hoping to get the extra light power, im thinking maybe for now just to do the kc offroad lights as well as a dolde on the low high and fogs.

Hey, I know what you mean. My reason for the more light fever is because we spend weekends down at the coast also and camp out overnight on the beach sometimes. The stretch of beach is somewhat secluded and pitch black at night, as well as the backroads we travel along the way to get there.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

bigpov

Reaction score
Is there a way to have Highs Lows and Fog lights on? I have an 03 duramax as well that I did this mod to up under the dash with 2 diodes. Now I want to do it to my 02 tahoe. Any ideas?

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have recieved a request so i might as well throw this up on here..

Attachments

• Quadbeamheadlight mod.JPG
    Quadbeamheadlight mod.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 95

bigpov

Reaction score
Thanks FergHoe. Any ideas on how to tie in the fog lights to this set up?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thanks FergHoe. Any ideas on how to tie in the fog lights to this set up?

You can place a diode in line between the brown parking light wire and the orange wire that controls the fog lights. Remove the light switch panel (headlight,foglight switch) and all the wires you will need are right there. Test to verify that the orange wire is indeed +12vdc when you turn the fog lamps on. This set up will turn the fogs on whenever the parking lights are on, and keep them on with the highs and low beams as well. If you don't want them coming on all the time with the parking lamps, but only with the low and high beams instead, then splice the log light wire into the headlight wire behind the switch instead of the parking lamp wire. Just make sure to test the wires first; I don't remember the color off hand, but try the lt blue wire, or lt blue/black striped wire first.

bigpov

Reaction score
Thanks. I just PMed you back before I checked out this post. Thanks for all the help. I'll try to get it figured out.

Is there a way to do this out under the hood. Something is wrong with the wiring going from my fuse box to the switch. I can jump power to my fog lights inside the fuse box under the hood, and they turn right on. So I tried replacing the whole switch inside (fog lights and back wiper) and nothing, still didn't work. Any ideas?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thanks. I just PMed you back before I checked out this post. Thanks for all the help. I'll try to get it figured out.

Is there a way to do this out under the hood. Something is wrong with the wiring going from my fuse box to the switch. I can jump power to my fog lights inside the fuse box under the hood, and they turn right on. So I tried replacing the whole switch inside (fog lights and back wiper) and nothing, still didn't work. Any ideas?

I replied back to your last PM. Give that a try and see if that works.