Test drove out/ TOWED back!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmbaker3

Reaction score
Took a 2008 LT for a ride the other day... thought we had finally found the one, black on black...nice. After about 20 minutes, my wife and I decided to park the vehicle and look it over. ( The salesman stayed at the store.) Noticed the rear liftgate didn't want to open when I pressed the key, same with the overhead switch..lights would flash, but nothing else. Then I got back in the car, key in the ignition and nothing...no clicking , no nothing. Kept trying with no luck... so phone call tot he store, told him I thought the battery might be dead, but I did get all other functions, so just bring a jumper and lets see... put to paddles on and still no turn of the engine... nothing! Salesman says looks like the car has shut down...I did see the security light flashing on the dash at one point. Then I tried the rear tailgate again and shazam, it opens... Really wierd. So they called the flatbed in to tow it back! Salesman says to me, "well I guess I can't sell you this one." lol Wierd stuff man. :umn:

Any suggestions?

slvrbrchyukon

Reaction score
well that sounds like my truck and it happend at least 4 times already it got towed because it didn't start for not apparent reason, and the symptoms you mentiond lights not working lift gate not opening is the same stuff that happens to my yukon. it has been an on going battle with mine, and GMC has denied replacement so my attorney is going through the court to battle GMC. it will be atleast a year before we know anything, but they have replaced my BCM and fuel relay system, replaced battery and still it happens! good luck with your future purchase.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Took a 2008 LT for a ride the other day... thought we had finally found the one, black on black...nice. After about 20 minutes, my wife and I decided to park the vehicle and look it over. ( The salesman stayed at the store.) Noticed the rear liftgate didn't want to open when I pressed the key, same with the overhead switch..lights would flash, but nothing else. Then I got back in the car, key in the ignition and nothing...no clicking , no nothing. Kept trying with no luck... so phone call tot he store, told him I thought the battery might be dead, but I did get all other functions, so just bring a jumper and lets see... put to paddles on and still no turn of the engine... nothing! Salesman says looks like the car has shut down...I did see the security light flashing on the dash at one point. Then I tried the rear tailgate again and shazam, it opens... Really wierd. So they called the flatbed in to tow it back! Salesman says to me, "well I guess I can't sell you this one." lol Wierd stuff man. :umn:

Any suggestions?

Well it is good that you found a problem under those conditions. Most all of the people love their trucks and have had good luck over all, once in a while you will have somthing weird happen, but it is not common.

jmbaker3

Reaction score
well that sounds like my truck and it happend at least 4 times already it got towed because it didn't start for not apparent reason, and the symptoms you mentiond lights not working lift gate not opening is the same stuff that happens to my yukon. it has been an on going battle with mine, and GMC has denied replacement so my attorney is going through the court to battle GMC. it will be atleast a year before we know anything, but they have replaced my BCM and fuel relay system, replaced battery and still it happens! good luck with your future purchase.

Sorry to hear about your Yukon. Actually the lights were working on the outside, but the dome light when I got back in it would not dim, and the switch was in the right position, etc. Although if you hit the door lock, the light would then got out.

How did the dealer get yours to start... did they just wait it out... what's the deal with this???

slvrbrchyukon

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Yukon. Actually the lights were working on the outside, but the dome light when I got back in it would not dim, and the switch was in the right position, etc. Although if you hit the door lock, the light would then got out.

How did the dealer get yours to start... did they just wait it out... what's the deal with this???

well 2 times when it didn't start, on star would send a tow truck to jump the vehicle, but no luck .. so the next day it gets towed to the nearest dealer and they would not say how they get it started except they charged the battery and they ran a paramistic test of anything drawing the battery but they find nothing, so they return the truck to me. couple months later it happend again, and this time they replaced the BCM, then less than a month later it happend again and they replaced the fuel relay system. now i'm just waiting for when it will not start again :ack:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither of you guys got LoJack put in, did you? Or any other aftermarket electronic product? In your case, jmbaker3, was there any dealer-added products installed, that you could tell by the sticker? Just curious...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i test drove a cts, i had to call the dealer to tell him TO FILL IT WITH GAS, he nor i did not even look at the gauge until it sputtered and died after a pass on the highway. :smilielol:

jmbaker3

Reaction score
Neither of you guys got LoJack put in, did you? Or any other aftermarket electronic product? In your case, jmbaker3, was there any dealer-added products installed, that you could tell by the sticker? Just curious...

Nothing added to my knowledge...just nitrogen in the tires.

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parents were test driving a Ford a couple years back and for some reason the vehicle didn't have oil in it. They made it about mile.

jmbaker3

Reaction score
The snake oil in the tires did it!

Is that what was hissing at me when ever I walked by the truck. lol

Can't wait to hear back from the dealer on what they found as the problem witht he no starting deal.

jmbaker3

Reaction score
well 2 times when it didn't start, on star would send a tow truck to jump the vehicle, but no luck .. so the next day it gets towed to the nearest dealer and they would not say how they get it started except they charged the battery and they ran a paramistic test of anything drawing the battery but they find nothing, so they return the truck to me. couple months later it happend again, and this time they replaced the BCM, then less than a month later it happend again and they replaced the fuel relay system. now i'm just waiting for when it will not start again :ack:

I think your problem is the exact same problem we experienced... wonder if any others have had this happen.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it has to do with the keyless entry or the passive key control

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're not having the best of luck with ours either, I was going to drive my wifes '07 (8k miles) to work today and it wouldn't start. It clicked, so I jumped it off and got it going but when I started to get onto the interstate to go over to the Chevy dealer and get the battery replaced, the Check Engine light came on. Who knows, they gave me a ride back home so she's driving mine and I'm driving the Mustang until we figure out whats going on :mpr: .

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're not having the best of luck with ours either, I was going to drive my wifes '07 (8k miles) to work today and it wouldn't start. It clicked, so I jumped it off and got it going but when I started to get onto the interstate to go over to the Chevy dealer and get the battery replaced, the Check Engine light came on. Who knows, they gave me a ride back home so she's driving mine and I'm driving the Mustang until we figure out whats going on :mpr: .

its kinda funny how the newer ones are having way more trouble than the GMT 800's. :skep:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that its a software issue and the new upgrade that GM is comming up with should fix the problem

jmbaker3

Reaction score
Yeah, I've never had to leave mine overnight and I've had it 3 years, this one is spending the night at the chevy dealer and I've had it a month :skep: .

Man, you guys aren't making me feel warm and fuzzy about buying one of these things... I have had two suburbans in the past and never a problem.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just multi quoting some people about the same situation

taken from here http://www.chevroletforum.com/m_48280/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: golfngator

I had the same sort of problem with my 07. I had two occasions that the battery just died and the truck wouldn't do anything. I called a buddy of mine who is a service writer at a local dealership and he said he had seen that before and that there was some sort of recall for a "batery run down program". Took it in to him he did a reprogram and have not had the problem again. This might be something to look into.

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

That as correct and a good point.
There is a TSB to reprogram the BCM to correct certain battery related issues, you should have the dealer double check that the latest BCM calibration is loaded once the replacement battery is installed.

ORIGINAL: CHEVY670207

Whats up guys have an 07 tahoe 2000 miles, day after Christmas truck was dead in the driveway, not a light not a click dead. Didn't think much of it, boosted the battery and the truck was as good as new. Next morning dead as a doornail. Boosted it again and dragged it to the dealer, two days later picked it up with the dealer telling me that it was a defective batter so the battery was replaced and was sent on my way. Four days later dead as a doornail in my driveway again. Boosted it and dragged it to the dealer again. Two days later went to pick it up and was told the same thing, a bad battery. Really I said what are the odds, very slim the dealer said but was sent on my way again. Three days later dead as a doodnail again. This time I took matters into my own hands, a friend of mine owns a mechanics shop and brought it there, hooked up a meter to the batter which showed some disturbing news. The draw on the battery when the car is off is according to chevy is .027 milliamps. My battery was reading .380, thats more than 10 times what its supposed to be. My buddy said to take it to the dealer and tell them to check for a parasidic draw in the car. So today I dropped the truck off to the dealer and made the service rep aware of the problem. By the way the rep has never heard of a parasidic draw but assured me the tech would find the problem. Any advice from anyone is more than welcome, and I'll keep you guys posted

ORIGINAL: tahoe07

As has been stated like 100 times on this site and above. Have the dealer check for all of the latest reprograms for your truck.

There are several updates to address this issue!!

I might consider seeing another dealer. The above set of events is ridiculous.