Think the yukon can handle it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Yall got a question , need yalls opinion. With Hanna coming in tonight and tommarrow, Then possible IKE following the same track, Dad said get the boats to His buddys who has a reinforced garage. Small boat is easy, only about 5k pounds, but we have no vehicle larger than my yukon to tow the massive 11k pound wellcraft. Its only about a 15 min drive on super flat land to his buddies. But i know the yukon can only handle 8k, But im not going that far.

Already got the little one there. But im worried about the big one, the trailer IS MASSIVE!! 4 axles has brakes on all axles. Im just worried about overheating somthing or when i drop it in gear and push the gas its gunna go WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO ME and not go anyware. I would take it slow (not even go above 25) and stay in the right lane with hazards on.

Your thoughts!!! gotta do this tonight as hanna hits tommarrow, IM not really that worried, its not even as strong as some of the thunderstorms we get, but my father is, and you know he is the boss whether you live in his house OR NOT:D But i am worried about what IKE could do. he is gunna leave them there until both hanna and IKE have passed. The yukon would only have to take it there, since when i bring it back my friend with the superduty ford is back in from Nashville. I would just borrow his truck now, but come to find out he drove that to nashville.

Your thoughts

Thanks RT

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 right. Shouldnt be an issue for a short distance. Take it easy and it'll be fine. I towed enclosed race car trailers for years , so I do have some experience. Keep an eye on Trans temp. If your hitch set up allows for weight distributing bars use them.
Your Kon will do just fine............!!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 right. Shouldnt be an issue for a short distance. Take it easy and it'll be fine. I towed enclosed race car trailers for years , so I do have some experience. Keep an eye on Trans temp. If your hitch set up allows for weight distributing bars use them.
Your Kon will do just fine............!!

5.3. so does that change your answer??? I have not done it yet, for 2 reasons. 1. i wanna hear from the experts.. and 2 i wanna wait for traffic to clear off the road so if it is cleared from you guys I have less chance of someone hitting me or me hitting them and getting huge tickets and law suits for hitting them while towing more than the vehicle is rated.

KennyB22

Reaction score
Dunno if this is going to help, but with my dad's suburban, a '02 z71, same engine as yours, I towed a 25 foot hydra-sport with a 300 horse Johnson, if I told you the weight of the boat, or even guessed I would be lying. Anyway, I towed the boat about 10 miles and had no problems. I took it slow, and it got the job done. How big is the boat? Feet wise? I am guessing, but I would say anything over 28 feet for a 1500 sub/yukon is really pushing it........I would see if anyone else has experience towing with the 5.3 yukon/sub, sorry really didn't help you....:confused2: Just my own experience. I'll see if I can find out how much the hydra sport weighs, maybe that will help.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its 31 feet (29 coastal) with twin 250 yami's (with some mods though, preety sweet) Wellcraft says dry weight is 8735, but with 300 gallons of fuel, 40 gallons of water, and equipment, engines, and all the other stuff it adds up) . Well I went and did it and honestly, i dont see why GM cant raise the towing limit. I took it easy, used my weight distrubiter hitch, with all the trailer brakes working in only new the trailer was there when speeding up. When just cruising along it was fine, Definatly i knew it was there, but did not lug as much as i thought it would, used Tow Haul mode for both boats. Dont notice much difference on the 20 footer, but with this one YES made a huge difference. Now i would not go farther than i did. But im very happy how it preformed cept' the tranny temp got to 234 for about 2 min going up a bridge (forgot about that :lol: ) .

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!:D

Starting to get a little breezy hear. :lol:

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool! Glad it all worked out.

Last edited:

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it! There is a reason it has a max cap tow. I have the 6.2L Denali and it has a completely different transmission than the 5.3L. I towed a 30' Maxum last weekend through the pass with no problem, but I don't know about the 5.3L Yukons and Tahoes. If you break something, it definitely won't be covered under warranty!

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's done is done and I will say no harm. I really doubt the manufacturer is going to give a max tow rating right up to the true max of the vehicle, they would be failing all over the place and they would have a massive headache on their hands. As long as you take it easy, your truck should be fine. Back in the day I had an 85 Toyota Long Bed truck that regisetered at 11,000lbs on the scale at the dumps. Bed of truck and trailer were roof high filled with cement and cinder block. If my then 4cyl 225K truck could pull haul 11,000lbs I'm sure the Yukon can handle it. (and no, that does not include the truck. had in/out weight taken)

Also, I'd rather replace a 3K tranny than a 40+K boat if I really had to make that choice.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it pulled it fine, I agree they probably under-rate it to have a safety buffer. But that trans temp is pretty high, it's good it was a short trip. Don't know if you have a factory cooler but I would think it's not big enough for that payload anyway- you need one of the bigger ones available.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not?

remove the trailer with boat and call roadside. when they ask what happen, play dumb.

but thats dishonest, plus what are you gunna do with at almost 12k boat??

I was more than willing to pay if i broke somthing, but so far so good. stopping was not a big issue, but i think the trailer brakes had more to do with that. I was just worried about getting in a wreck. Cause they would go OH you were towing over your limit, hmm.

my tranny temp is average every day not towing anything is 180, it onnly got to 235 holding first gear up a bridge at 2900 rpm. After that, the rest of the trip it hovered from 190-210:D