Thinking of Making a 1997 2 door Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldschool88

Reaction score
Hey all;

I am in the process of looking for a daily/ Winter driver that is of a 4WD nature. I am a long veteran of lifted 4x4 trucks of both GM and Dodge manufacturers. It is just that my experience is lacking in the newer 96-99 2 door Tahoes for issues ranging from ease of lifting up, mechanical issues to watch out for and just things to look for in general..... or to just walk away from any 2 door Tahoe and skip off to the 4 door models from 98-2003 model years.

Specifically I have come across a 97 2 door Tahoe which is lifted 4 inches with a Rancho system the guy said. Yet I cannot find any supporting info online for this system. Has the original wheels and is running goodyear mud type tires which have decent tread.The Body looks very good, will need new carpet for interior, Engine has 45k on it but looks like original motor, has slip to go with it for verification. Body has over 220k on it and Trans and T case and gears are all original, which kind of concerns me short term, Long term plans are no problem. He claims to have replaced regular wear items, and also replaced the 4wd actuator switch. Additionally, the AC is leaking or not holding PSI. He will take 4k for this, but I gave him a slightly lower offer.

Additionally, my daily drive will consist of less than 10 miles road trip. I will also be wanting to take the vehicle once it is upgraded/ Updated to be 100% mechanically sound on vacation trips and drive it on the beach. Hence the reason I am wanting a lifted 4x4 over a regular one as I have seen the costs of the lift kits now and it has caused me to get heart pain.... lol

All in all I was wondering if it is worth it to come up to his price of 4k or keep shopping and get a T key lift with a body lift? or if there are cheaper suspension lifts which fall in the 4" total lift range? Basically wanting to clear 35" tires... I have tore up Craigslist and have seen 100's of 2 door tahoes of all levels of quality and with and without lift kits. Additionally, I have noticed there does not appear to be a LOT of support for this vehicle over say a 2002 4 door Tahoe....

I have plenty of time to be looking and am wanting to keep this project with a cost under 4000 dollars as winter is still a LONG ways away vs spending 9 grand for one which is potentially done.

Any suggestions, thoughts Ideas on which direction to go will be much appreciated, even if it is to say go for Y2K or newer 4 door tahoes.

Thanks