Tick tick tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chasmanian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear a ticking sound under the dash at times. Found out today if I turn my A/C off it goes away. It doesn't do it all the time. Can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Any ideas?

03 Tahoe

Val0412

Reaction score
I think it's the recirc. fan. Try using your A/C so it pulls in outside air and not recirculating the inside air and see if the tick goes away.

I've had two chevy's with the same problem... Annoying but it will eventually go away. At least mine did.

Chasmanian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to see if that's what it is. I have it on auto so it may be when it switches over.

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise is probably comming from your driver side temp actuator. The actuators will lose their "home" position and over extend past their stops. The ticking is comming from the actuator going past the stop, them moving back, and so forth....

For a quick temporary fix, just move the temp slider for the driver and passenger side up a click or two, and it should stop.

If it doesn't, it may be the mode door, or recirc actuator. If that is the case, you'll need to do the following:

Pull your HVAC fuse, or disconnect your battery, or unplug your A/C control head for a couple of minutes. Then reconnect power and don't touch the controls for atleast 1 minute so the actuators will relearn the stop positions.

NOTE: This doesn't always work.