Tire Pressure for factory Esky 22's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sievz7

Reaction score
Guys,

Just put a set of factory 22" Escalade wheels on my 'hoe and was wondering what the factory tire pressure should be. They were shipped to me with 35psi, so I left them there, but these are the lowest profile tires I have dealt with, so I didn't know if I should bump it up a bit or not?

Any escalade owners want to check their drivers side door jam for me??

***Edit*** I just called a local Caddy dealer and they said that the sticker on the Esky doors show 30 PSI. Does this seem low to anyone else but me? Again, I'm new to the "low profile" scene, so maybe it is normal....anyway, just thought I'd ask.

thanks,

Mark

Last edited:

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never go by whats on the door panel......35lbs is a safe start. See how you like the ride. I put about 40-42 all around on my 22's.

30 is to low IMO.....

cbramsey

Reaction score
I experimented and stumbled upon 34 psi cold for my stock 17 inchers. It seemed to wallow a lot when the inflation was only 30.

It seems to drive a lot better and wifey seems happier with the ride as well.

Hope this helps.

demonal

Reaction score
the rim manufacture tells me 35psi in all 4 for my 24's

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 psi is fine cause when you start driving, the heat built up, will cause the psi to rise, thus giving you a rougher ride!

Anything higher than 32 psi, especially on low profile tires, is just overkill and the ride will be uncomfortable!

Of course, someone will come on here and say "Mine rides just fine with the extra psi in the tires" or "I don't notice a rougher ride."

gbleezy

Reaction score
can you post some pics of your hoe on the esky 22's? i'd love to see what it looks like...thanks.

sievz7

Reaction score
can you post some pics of your hoe on the esky 22's? i'd love to see what it looks like...thanks.

Yeah, I plan on getting some pics posted soon....I just got them put on thursday, and it has rained since, so I'm gonna try and clean it up this afternoon when I get off work.

I ended up putting 35 psi in them to start, since I had to re-learn my TPMS anyway. For anyone that is interested (and most of you probably knew this already), but any factory esky 22's you find, ebay or otherwise, should have the sensors in them already.

The guy I purchased these from was unsure, so I just went ahead with the calibration and sure enough, after about 5 sec of letting air out of them, my 'hoe honked at me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I plan on getting some pics posted soon....I just got them put on thursday, and it has rained since, so I'm gonna try and clean it up this afternoon when I get off work.

I ended up putting 35 psi in them to start, since I had to re-learn my TPMS anyway. For anyone that is interested (and most of you probably knew this already), but any factory esky 22's you find, ebay or otherwise, should have the sensors in them already.

The guy I purchased these from was unsure, so I just went ahead with the calibration and sure enough, after about 5 sec of letting air out of them, my 'hoe honked at me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

you'll need to take it in & get it reflashed with an vci # from GM with the new rim/tire size or you will end up with tpm/stabilitrac issues...it's what we have to do any time a customer upgrades their wheel/tire combo. It's not just a matter of resetting the tpms.

Last edited:

sievz7

Reaction score
GMTech48,

Thanks for the heads-up. Is this something they charge for? What is involved? I just purchased my 'hoe last week, so I would think that maybe the dealer I bought it from would do it??? I'll have to check.

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they can, depends on the dlr.....being you just purchased it I would think they wouldn't....they have to call GM with old & new tire & rim sizes, they will give the tech an vci # to program your module with.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll need to take it in & get it reflashed with an ISO # from GM with the new rim/tire size or you will end up with tpm/stabilitrac issues.
Isn't that only if you don't plus size the wheels and tires correctly? If you maintain the same overall diameter as stock, there shouldn't be a problem.

Going from 265/70/17 to 285/45/22 there's only a 1.7% difference (traveling 61 mph when speedo shows 60 mph). I thought anything under a 3% difference was acceptable and no reprogramming was required. No?

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if you don't care about the accuracy then don't worry about it....GM HAS to state it to avoid law suits.
They also advise you to replace the spare hoist because of the added weight the 22's have...the stocker won't handle it....hate to see a 22 suddenly drop out @ 70 mph!!!!
Part # 19158309

sievz7

Reaction score
stargazer,

That's a good point. I just want to make sure everything is working properly (ABS and Stabilitrac).

Looking at another post (http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=11066&highlight=TPMS), one of the guys says that any (most) tire shops can re-flash the sensors. Is he referring to simply re-learning them, or is he talking about what GMTech48 is saying and having the cpu re-flashed???

Again, I just want to make sure everything is up to snuff when my 6mo. pregnant wife gets in the car!

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stargazer,

That's a good point. I just want to make sure everything is working properly (ABS and Stabilitrac).

Looking at another post (http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=11066&highlight=TPMS), one of the guys says that any (most) tire shops can re-flash the sensors. Is he referring to simply re-learning them, or is he talking about what GMTech48 is saying and having the cpu re-flashed???

Again, I just want to make sure everything is up to snuff when my 6mo. pregnant wife gets in the car!

yes that is true but it only re-learns the electronic serial #'s as to where each tire is ie- lf, rf ,lr ,rr....BUT there is a second part of it that only dealers with a Tech 2 can do and that is reprogram the RCDLR module with the exact tire size & type like load range, P-metric or not, tire pressures, etc etc. that info is used by the RCDLR to correctly run the tire pressure monitor system. It watches actual pressures and will turn on the warning only if it exceeds the calc. normal pressure(above or below) it has in it's baseline.

sievz7

Reaction score
GmTech48,

Is it a safety concern if I don't get it re-flashed by the dealer? I guess that is what it boils down to.

If I'm off by a psi or two, I don't care, but I just want to make sure the safety functions are not adversely affected.

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say yes, if it does not warn you of a low tire......it may also throw a "service tire pressure monitor system" or "service stabilitrac system" message

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if you don't care about the accuracy then don't worry about it....GM HAS to state it to avoid law suits.
They also advise you to replace the spare hoist because of the added weight the 22's have...the stocker won't handle it....hate to see a 22 suddenly drop out @ 70 mph!!!!
Part # 19158309
I understand businesses have to cover their butts and discourage using aftermarket parts. They have to do that to protect their own interests.

Most people believe that the factory speedometer has a % error on it anyway, so a less than 3% change isn't going to be significant. Of course, closer to zero is better, but depending on the direction of change, you might actually be making your speedo more accurate :D.

Also, when people buy aftermarket wheels, they don't usually buy a 5th for the spare. In fact many manufacturers only include a steel/temporary spare anyway--even if you have factory alloys. There's no reason to buy a 22" spare, just use the stock one. If people have upgraded properly with the same overall diameter, that OEM spare is going to do fine for getting people to the nearest gas station or tire shop--as safe as (or safer than) any tiny temporary donut can be on a passenger car.

Stability control and ABS rely upon the relative speed that all four wheels are spinning at. If one wheel spins faster than another, the system kicks in by appling brakes and/or throttle control. If the overall diameter is the same as stock, under normal conditions the wheels will spin at the same speed that the computer is expecting. No problems there.

The biggest issue concerning upsizing to larger rims is whether the brakes are big enough to stop the additional weight.

Are the Tahoe's brakes any different than the Suburban's? You can get 20" factory rims on the Tahoe/Suburban. When you order it, does GM install larger brakes on for you? It's the same with the Escalade. When you upgrade the 18" wheels on the Escalade and get the 22" rims, does GM install a larger brake system? I don't think so. Is GM waiting for lawsuits to come pouring in? I don't think so. They must have designed the brake system so that it could handle all the factory options with safety.

The question that should be answered is are the brakes on an Escalade any different than the brakes on a Tahoe or Suburban or Yukon or XL Denali? I think at 22" you don't have to worry. When you get up to much larger sizes like 24" and 26" then I think you have to worry :).

I've upgraded wheels and tires and many different vehicles and they all follow the same guidelines. Granted, I've never owned a GM vehicle before this one, so unless GM does something really weird with their vehicles, I would assume that the same principals apply as they do to the imports.

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I mentioned the spare hoist is if you get a flat on a trip and the back is loaded with no room to store the spare you will be forced to put the flat (22") where the spare was with the old hoist if you didn't upgrade it.