Tire Size and Photo Gallery for a Visual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smorse52

Reaction score
I got my truck tuned and I want to do lift, exhaust, wheels and tires, and a nice hood. Starting with the shoes. Does anyone know (I am looking at the Eagle Alloy 079 super finish series) what size wheels I should use to avoid rubbing. I want to beef up my truck a tad (07' Z71) But keep concrete worthy tires with a little off road appetite as well as a close to stock with slightly modified appearance. In other words, I don't mind spending money, but I am not looking for a monster truck. I don't understand the offsets and all of that stuff to know if I am getting myself in trouble or not. Any help would be appreciated. Also is there a site that you can see the tires appearance installed on your model truck?

Last edited:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you go with a 4 inch lift and aftermarket wheels you will need 5.5 inches of backspacing and will clear 35's. If you dont want to go that high you might be able to clear 33's with a 2 inch rancho quick lift or tuff country or any other brand front strut spacer. I dont know of any spefic site where you can search for different wheel size and lift combos but you can go to different lift kit (rancho, CST?, procomp, tuff country, skyjacker, Fabtech, etc.) web sites and see what tire size they recommoned with thier lift.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot to mention If you want a tire that does good on the road and off go with an all-terrain (BFgoodrich). stay away from mud terrains if you are only going to drive it on the road.

ucsbguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine if it helps... running 285/70/17 BFG TAKOs on stock yukon wheels and a front-end leveling kit.

Attachments

• Tahoe.jpg
    Tahoe.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 198

smorse52

Reaction score
Fco - talking about the tires. How is your truck on power? I see you have the programmer, I had my truck programmed, but I am concerned about the bigger tires and the power. What made your personal biggest boost in power? Or was there one? The Bf Goodrich I feel is the way to go too. On the width of the tire. I see yours are 12.5. I don't find your truck is too high and it looks correctly proportioned. If I stayed close to stock height with the 2" lift. What width on the tire would you suggest?

Ucsb- I can't see the tires on that pic. Everything is black lol. It all looks like fenderwell. Do you have another? It won't let me blow it up. I could probably see it then

ucsbguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the only one I have right now... gf dropped the digi camera so i'm making her get me a new better one for xmas.

With a 2 inch lift, you can clear 33's without any issues, but i think thats about it, unless you want to do a bunch of trimming. With my 285/70/17s i only get a little rub if i've got a bunch of weight in the truck, and only when turning on an up or down incline.

I know there are some pics of guys running 305/50/20s with a leveling kit without any problems too. I prolly would ahve gone with a 295 or 305 if i was running wider rims. I'm debating about my next set being the 295/70/07 Nitto TGs. Haven't run the TGs before, and i hear good things.

smorse52

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. How does the tire size corrulate (forgive me for being extremely dense in this area) to the wheel size. Example, width. 50 is wider than 70 correct? and how wide is the wheel? I don't want a skinny looking tire, but at the same time I don't want to be at the opposite extreme.

ucsbguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for a 285/70/17 tire, the 285 is the width of the tire tread. the 70 represents the size of the sidewall. So 70 has a larger sidewall than say, a 50. For example, all the little ricers have the tiny sidewall tires that are like a 30 or 35 profile.

If you're using stock rims, they are 7.5 inched wide. If you wanted to run a 305/50/20, you should go to an 8-9 inch rim. the larger the first number (tire tread) the larger the rim width would need to be. If you check out some of the pics, you'll see a few that would look like what you're talking about.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost correct.

For a 285/70R17 tire. 285 is the width of the tire in millimeters, 70 is the ratio of tire height to width, R is for radial, and 17 is the diameter of the wheel in inches.

For example a 285/70R17 has a smaller sidewall than a 305/70R17 tire.

Here is a good link explaining it. http://www.nationaltire.com/basics/default.asp

Here is a link to a tire calculator that shows general size information and comparisons.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the biggest increase came from the PCM chip from jet performance the only down side is that you have to use 91 octane if you want to see resluts. currently I'm running it stock becuase of gas prices. the power is still there though.