Tire Size....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fuzzy dice

Reaction score
My 2001 Yukon has 265/70/16 Michelin's on it...they need to be replaced soon...my thought is to go to a slightly taller (75) tire for better gas mileage...I know it will throw off my speddo slightly but I cna live with that given the gas prices...

Anyone have any thoughts on this plan?...

Also, I am just about at 100K so I plan to put in new plugs...I read NGK TR-5's work well...I believe I read to gap them to .040...is this correct?...TIA..

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a 265/70/16 is about 30.6" tall, and a 265/75/16 is about 31.6", so you gain about 1".

foxie

Reaction score
but I cna live with that given the gas prices...

Anyone have any thoughts on this plan?...

Come to the UK, it's over $9.00 a (US) Gallon now :cryin: you'll appreciate what you have..

Aside of that, with a 75 profile (all else the same) the rolling circumference of the new tyre will be very slightly more making your speedo read 3.4% too slow, ie at if your speedo reads 60mph, you'll actually be doing 62mph cant see it having much affect ? Pumping the tyres up harder may be a better option ?

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to the UK, it's over $9.00 a (US) Gallon now :cryin: you'll appreciate what you have..

Aside of that, with a 75 profile (all else the same) the rolling circumference of the new tyre will be very slightly more making your speedo read 3.4% too slow, ie at if your speedo reads 60mph, you'll actually be doing 62mph cant see it having much affect ? Pumping the tyres up harder may be a better option ?

My 2004 Tahoe had OEM Bridgestone P265/70/17's on it until April and I wanted to go with a little larger tire so I went with LT275/70/17 Wrangler Silent Armors and it dropped my city mileage from 14 to 12 instantly but my highway mileage stayed at 19-20. They ride and handle great but killed the gas mileage.

fuzzy dice

Reaction score
Thanks guys...my idea is not to go wider which will negatively affect gas mileage due to increasing the rolling resistance...I am thinking a taller sidewall will actually take a little gear out of the vehicle thereby running a little lower rpm thereby using a bit less fuel, mostly on the highway...I can live with the small speedo difference...

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...my idea is not to go wider which will negatively affect gas mileage due to increasing the rolling resistance...I am thinking a taller sidewall will actually take a little gear out of the vehicle thereby running a little lower rpm thereby using a bit less fuel, mostly on the highway...I can live with the small speedo difference...

I just went to 265/75s and my mileage did go down a bit. generally going to a larger tire is gonna hurt your mileage.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A taller or wider tire will negatively effect your MPG as others have stated. Then again, having an SUV will negatively effect your MPG!!:lol: