Tool Question- Metric or Standard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of people here work on their own vehicles, and use their own tools.

In your opinion, for these Tahoes, do you use Metric or Standard wrenches/sockets more? I know this is a weird question, but I like to carry a few tools in the truck when we travel... and I'm being asked for Christmas ideas... so I'm thinking maybe something like this

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942400000P?mv=rr

I have a set of sockets and wrenches in the garage of both Metric & Standard, I just want a good set for emergencies to keep in the Hoe.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

BH

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both. I love tools. But I have found metric to be the best for these truck. But I use alot of tools for work.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They both work. Since their really not much difference. I just have metric tools. But use standard tools for work. LOL IDK really, again they both work.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. Well they both can work, but I have messed nuts/bolts up before trying to do that. Even with the most minimal difference, when there is a tight nut/bolt and you have to crank dat sh!t, something will give. I will stick to standard on the 'Hoe, and metric on my BMW. :yesnod:

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Metric would be the way to go. It does not surprise me really, even with an American car.

When I removed my running boards and installed nerf bars I needed metric sockets and wrenches for ALL the nuts & bolts. Even the large bolts that went into the frame. They were something like 18mm, which was not in my socket set. I used an 18mm open end wrench and cranked that sucker all the way out the hard way.

I even noticed on my old 94' Chevy that the screws that held the stock radio in place were metric.

Thanks all for the reply. I'll put the Metric set on my Christmas list, and get the Standard set for myself one day.

Later

BH

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm breaking down a 6.0L right now and every bolt is metric either 10mm, 13mm 15mm or 17mm, oil drain plug 15mm, harmonic dampener bolt 24 mm etc etc...it's a better system anyways, whoever the hell decided it was a good idea to devide a unit of measurement by 12 is a little on the slow side...

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....well I haven't really wrenched on my truck, aside from the spark plugs - in which I used a spark plug socket, 5/8" I think.

If these really do use metric, that's great. I have some nice metric tools I bought since I have/had mostly all import vehicles. What I'm saying though is, if your vehicle uses metric, don't use standard. If it uses standard, don't use metric on it - unless it's an emergency. Then you really have no choice.

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metric is pretty much the standard since the mid 90's with the following exceptions:

Spark plugs and O2 sensors

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metric, but I have few sets of both. The bigass numbered craftsman sockets are nice but at least buy craftsman.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on that one Boost. Lifetime warranty, replacement with no questions asked.

As far as the spark plugs go, wrenches would not help there anyway. I carry a plug socket for that.

BH

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
metric I think if you had to choose.

Copper and Black, can I quick ask you in round numbers how much your paint ran you.? I think of the black top repaint w/ dkblue lower for my ride.. wondering if your pricing was about the same for the copper and black.
thanks and sorry to interrupt, Pete