Trail/Tow indicator light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

last-442

Reaction score
First off thanks for all that replied to my previous thread regarding the cabin air filters for the '03 Yukon.

The question I have is this, my 03 Yukon with 35K on it has the trailer button on the gear selector. When I press the button, the indicator on the dash does not light up. Is this common? The manual states that if it is selected, the mileage worsens, how do I know if it is engaged or not?

Thanks

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off thanks for all that replied to my previous thread regarding the cabin air filters for the '03 Yukon.

The question I have is this, my 03 Yukon with 35K on it has the trailer button on the gear selector. When I press the button, the indicator on the dash does not light up. Is this common? The manual states that if it is selected, the mileage worsens, how do I know if it is engaged or not?

Thanks

there has been a few times when i start up my 2001 when it has an issue starting and then the tow/haul light comes on. i never really worried about and it hasnt happened for some time. not sure why it did it but like i said it hasnt done it in about 2 months.

last-442

Reaction score
I just strange that it stopped working. The light use to come on, no biggie, not a lot of towing being done with it. I don't think I want all the hassle that comes along with changing the bulb in the instrument cluster. I'll live with it off.

last-442

Reaction score
I just got the Tow/Haul indicator light issue resolved. Turns out that the wire in the shifter handle broke/frayed what-ever. The dealer's service center repaired it, instead of replacing the entire shifter handle for a cost of $425 plus labor.

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
I believe it resets itself anyway every time you start the vehicle. That doesn't help if you were trying to turn the Tow/Haul mode on, but it shouldn't be an issue if you didn't want it on.

Armycop

Reaction score
shift points

The easiest indication that tow/haul mode has been engaged is the difference in the shift points of the transmission. In an unladen truck, the revs for each gear are noticably higher prior to a shift, and the engagement is harder; you'll hear and feel the difference. That's because the PCM changes the engine mapping to compensate for the increased weight expected when towing/hauling loads.