trailering with my 2012 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joelagos

Reaction score
Looking into purchasing my first travel trailer. Just wondering what everyones opinions are on towing with this truck?

Truck came with the towing package, should I upgrade the cooler to a larger one? I will be pulling this thing over the rocky mountains this summer. I know that I'm going to need a weight distribution hitch as well, any suggestions??

The trailer I'm looking at is a 2005 26' Surveyor bunk model with a GVWR of 5818lbs

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should not be a problem. Watch your transmission temp, if you don't have a gauge, get one. Lock into a gear going up grades, avoid downshifts, as that will hurt your transmission. I don't know about adding a cooler, I assume you're talking about a trans cooler. Since you have the towing package, you may not need to add it. Expect 6-8 mpg on the mountain towing, 8-10 mpg on the flats.

Joelagos

Reaction score
Yes I was meaning the trans cooler, Im pretty sure it has one but was wondering if a larger one was recommended. Acceptable temps when pulling? 95degrees Celsius(200 Fahrenheit)?