Tranny question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tofast4U

Reaction score
Have 2002 tahoe, when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear it shifts hard, like a shift kit is in the truck.It just started doing this on Friday, you guys have any Idea's?

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had the same thing for olmost two years now and its still the same. i had took it to a tranny shop the uy checked the valve body all electrical conects and said all that was ok so its internal. he put new fluid and said drive it until it breaks coz eventually i have to have it rebuild but so far its cool. i suggest take to a shop coz it could be fixable at least u'll know. Gd luck

goat364

Reaction score
I have the same deal with my '04 Z71 Tahoe with 101k on it. Mine seems to shift hard between 1 and 2 if i'm backing out of the throttle at the time of the shift. If i'm accelerating, both gradually or at WOT, it shifts smoothly. My friend who's owned a trans shop for 30 years told me to drive it till it pops. And keeping clean fluid in it might prolong its life. I planned to put a trans in it at 130-160k when i bought it.

Tofast4U

Reaction score
Well guys Finally dropped the pan, I have spoke with alot of people here (MN) and was hoping it was the 1st to 2nd gear accumalator spring.($4.00) part and really easy to fix, drop pan, pull out filter and there are 3 bolts holding the spring in. Well mine spring is fine and Pan is full of Brass, so No good. Going to pull it out and send it in for a rebuild.Been calling around all morning and prices are from $850.00 to $2000.00. So for $850.00 I have to pull tranny and they will have it back to me in 1 day turn around time.Rebuilt and New torq Converter.Comes with 1 yr warranty. What do you guys think?

flastud904

Reaction score
I got my tranny rebuilt and new TC for 1200. He had the vehicle for about a week, but that was due to volume. Remember you get what you pay for. I had a lot of metal in my pan as well. When i saw I couldnt believe it, because going up and down hills, and trying to go past 70, the truck would stall and hesitate. Now that the tranny has been done , its shifts so smooth. They put a 2nd gear kevlar band in as well. it has some serious "get-up" now.

Pike

Reaction score
Nothing to do with the 1-2 shift, but as a FYI, there is a bulletin on the 2-3/3-2 shift...AKA: Tranny clunk

Information on 2-3 Upshift or 3-2 Downshift Clunk Noise #01-07-30-042B - (Jan 16, 2004)
Information on 2-3 Upshift or 3-2 Downshift Clunk Noise
2004 and Prior Light Duty Trucks
2003-2004 HUMMER H2
with 4L60E or 4L65E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30, M32)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-042A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Some vehicles may exhibit a clunk noise that can be heard on a 2-3 upshift or a 3-2 downshift.
During a 2-3 upshift, the 2-4 band is released and the 3-4 clutch is applied. The timing of this shift can cause a momentary torque reversal of the output shaft that results in a clunk noise. This same torque reversal can also occur on a 3-2 downshift when the 3-4 clutch is released and the 2-4 band applied. This condition may be worse on a 4-wheel drive vehicle due to the additional tolerances in the transfer case.
This is a normal condition. No repairs should be attempted.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May as well get it rebuilt before you run into my problem... No forward gears at all... Just reverse. At 74,500 miles, thought GM was better than that!